Kelly Roper is a contributing writer and topic expert with LoveToKnow.com and has been with the company since 2006. She has more than ten years experience as a professional writer and editor and has covered a wide variety of topics, including:
- Pets: If an animal has fur, fins, feathers or scales, she has probably kept, bred or shown it at some point in her life. She is a former breeder of Shih Tzus, Chihuahuas and Poodles, and was a professional dog show handler until the demands of a growing family took precedence. She has also bred various types of birds and fish, as well as show cavies (Guinea pigs). Check out her Dog Behavior blog for plenty of useful training tips.
- Music: She plays piano as well as a little guitar.
- Astrology: She approaches this topic as a science that can be applied to everyday living rather than as a predictive tool.
- Food and cocktails: Kelly has 15 years experience in the restaurant industry, both as a cook and a manager and has overseen numerous events both large and small.
- Addiction and recovery: She is the adult child of an alcoholic and has attended Al-Anon meetings. This experience has fueled her interest in many issues surrounding addiction.
- Green thumb: Kelly is also a houseplant enthusiast and a past member of the African Violet Society of America and the American Orchid Society. She has fond memories of attending the famous Chicago Orchid Festival, sitting in on growing seminars, and collecting her favorite varieties.
- The paranormal: She has had several unexplained experiences in a relative's purportedly haunted home that have given her a firm belief that there is more to this world than meets the eye.
- Kids and teens - Kelly is also a former Girl Scout Leader, Recruiter and Training Coordinator, and has taken numerous trainings on working with youths provided by that organization. She has also taken the Protecting Youth seminar which is provided by her children's school and required of all parent volunteers.
Kelly currently lives in Ohio with her husband and four children, trio of Jack Russell Terriers, a small flock of parrots, and several backyard chickens.
See Kelly on Google+.