Halloween sound effects can set the scene for a great Halloween party or serve as a spooky backdrop when trick-or-treaters come to the door. These sound effects are easy to find in various formats, from free downloads to purchased CDs.
Haunted House Sound Effects
Halloween is the time of year when ghosts and goblins come out to play. These sound effects are a great backup for ghostly gatherings and haunted houses.
Free scary sound effects are an ideal addition to any haunted house.
- Sobbing woman: A woman crying, sounding afraid
- Ghost child's voice: Spooky child calling for mama
- Clock: A clock striking midnight
- Haunted house: Free compilation of haunted house noises
- Ghosts: Free track with multiple ghost voices
- Choking: Free download of choking sounds
- Creaking door: Free creaky door noise
Not every haunted house sound is available for free. It may be worth your while to explore some fee-based options.
- Ghostly phrases: Free recordings of creepy voices including wails, cries, and common ghost phrases such as "Get out!"
- Footsteps: Sound effect of ghostly footsteps for under a dollar
- Doors: The sound of a door creaking that costs less than two dollars
- Ghostly chains: Thunder claps and ghostly chain sounds for about a dollar
- Goblin voices: Different creepy vocals for less than a dollar
- One hour of haunted effects: Downloadable MP3 for less than a dollar with an hour of wails, moans, laughter, thumps, and other haunted house sounds
Frightening Creature Sound Effects
All kinds of scary creatures come out on Halloween. Use these sound effects of monsters, witches, and werewolves, among others.
What Halloween horror setting would be complete without a cacophony of creatures? These free downloads can set a fabulously frightening scene.
- Moaning mummy: Free track of a mummy moaning.
- Monster/Zombie growl: Short growling sound.
- Zombie group: Two minutes of moaning zombies for free download.
- Demons: This free effect features demon girls singing a lullaby.
- Vampire: Free sound simulating a vampire drinking blood
- Troll: No cost sound of a scary troll
- Monster versus dinosaur: Free download of what it would sound like if a monster ate a dinosaur.
- Cackling witch: No-cost version of a cackling wish.
Enhance your collection of frightful creature sounds with a few paid downloads of horrifying noises.
- Bats: Paid recording of bat vocalizations that costs around $3.
- Werewolf: Collection of paid werewolf sound effects that cost around $3 each.
- Zombies: Two zombies star in this soundtrack that costs less than a dollar (or you can download the entire album of 80 zombie sound effects for less than $10).
- Witch cackles: Collection of MP3s featuring witch cackles that cost about a dollar each.
- Skeleton: Rattling bones for less than a dollar.
- Goblin: Several goblin sound effects (and many others) are available with a Soundsnap membership ($149 for 6 months).
Halloween isn't all about ghosts and creatures. Set the stage for Halloween with other spooky sounds, ranging from alien crafts to thunderstorms.
Create a unique Halloween soundtrack with a variety of downloadable scary Halloween sounds. Several are available for free.
- Alien ship: Free track of a rocket that could be used as a UFO effect
- Sci-fi whispers: Scary sounding whisper sounds
- Pulse: A dark, pulsing sound
- Scary trick or treat voice - Frightening voice uttering "trick or treat"
- Halloween vocals: Free track featuring a group of spooky voices saying scary things
- Emergency siren: Free sound simulating an emergency warning siren
- Thunder: The sound of thunder booming
- Storm: An assortment of rain and thunder sounds
To create a perfect compilation of scary sounds, go beyond what's available for free and explore some low-cost options.
Explore Streaming Services for Halloween Sounds
Music streaming services are also a good resource for Halloween sounds. Do a quick search on any of the streaming services you use to find out what's available. Examples include:
- Halloween sounds on Apple Music: You can find just abut any scary sound effect you might need via Apple Music.
- Pandora Halloween sounds: There is a Scary Halloween Sounds station on Pandora that offers a wide variety of spooky noises.
- Halloween sound effects on Spotify: You'll also find an extensive selection of Halloween horror sound effects on Spotify.
Find Halloween Sounds on Albums and Apps
You can save some time by downloading or purchasing an entire album of Halloween sound effects. You may also find what you need via a mobile app that contains great sounds. Some to consider include:
- Halloween Spooky Sound Box Pro: This app, available for Apple devices through the iTunes store, features a collection of over 96 effects for just under $10.
- Scary Sound Effects: This free album download, subtitled Nightmarish Noise for Halloween, offers 39 minutes of spooky effects.
- 53 Scary Sound Effects and Music: This CD by Hollywood Studio Sound Effects contains a nice variety of sounds for about $9 as an MP3 download.
Where to Use Halloween Sound Effects
Once you've gathered a collection of sound effects for Halloween, you can put them to good use in a variety of ways! Make sure that all of your sounds are in the same format, and then put them together in a playlist or on a CD so that you can take your sound effects with you.
- Haunted Houses - Haunted houses are a staple of Halloween celebrations. Use scary sounds to set the right atmosphere. Consider playing certain eerie sounds at key stops in the haunted house, suddenly and loudly, for maximum impact.
- Background Noise on Halloween - When trick-or-treaters come to your door, treat them to some Halloween sounds. Save the really scary ones for later in the evening, when the very small children have already finished going door-to-door.
- Halloween Party - Halloween sounds make the perfect "filler" between Halloween-themed songs at a party. Intersperse your sound effects among the playlist to make sure that the theme of the party is carried out throughout the evening.
- Voicemail - If you're not taking serious business calls, use your Halloween sounds as part of your message on your voice mail.
- Ringtone- Get in the Halloween spirit by changing the ringtone of your phone to a scary seasonal sound.
- Video or photo collection - You could use these sound effects to create a fun video of your family's Halloween night, or put together a slideshow of photos that incorporates background sounds.
An Eerie Halloween
No matter what you use the sound effects for, Halloween clips can be lots of fun to download or purchase and play. Challenge yourself to find different ways to use these sounds to make your Halloween even eerier!