- Chill a martini glass or coupe.
- To prepare rim, dip the rim of the martini glass or coupe in a saucer with simple syrup.
- With the sprinkles on a second saucer, dip either half or the entire rim of the glass in the sprinkles to coat.
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice, whipped cream vodka, amaretto, white creme de cacao, and cream.
- Shake to chill.
- Strain into prepared glass.
Birthday Cake Martini Variations and Substitutions
Just like actual birthday cakes, a birthday cake martini comes in many flavors and colors.
- Use a brown creme de cacao instead of white to mimic a chocolate birthday cake.
- Instead of whipped cream vodka, use vanilla and add a splash of banana liqueur for a yellow batter birthday cake.
- Include a half-ounce of strawberry, peach, or raspberry liqueur for a fruitier flavor.
- A splash of freshly squeezed lemon juice will brighten up your birthday cake martini.
As unique as a beautifully decorated birthday cake, consider your garnish a stand-in for the frosting on birthday cakes.
- For a chocolatey garnish, drizzle chocolate syrup in a swirl pattern on the inside of the glass.
- You can also drizzle caramel syrup or even honey on the inside of the glass to sweeten your drink.
- Dip the rim of your glass in frosting. You can enjoy it on its own or dip the frosting into some sprinkles, too!
- Drop-in a pinch of rainbow sprinkles for a colorful swirl as the sprinkles melt.
Taking a Look at the Birthday Cake Martini
The birthday cake martini has no clear point of origin. Actual birthday cakes weren't a common enjoyment until the 1800s, but some historians believe Romans originated the concept of cakes to be enjoyed at birthdays, weddings, or other special festivities. Like most extravagant events with particular foods, birthday cakes were only available to the wealthy. It's easy to imagine not everyone had the money to spend on flour, eggs, icing, and layers of decorations.
Thankfully, birthday cakes are far more accessible these days. And the birthday cake martini is an excellent spin on this contemporary dessert. Just don't add any candles to your martini.
Slice Into a Birthday Cake Martini
Birthday cake tastes best with a candle on top, but when you can't make that happen, a birthday cake martini is also a perfectly good option. And don't think it needs to be your birthday, either. With the birthday cake martini, it can be your birthday any day.
Can't get enough boozy birthday cake? Try birthday cake pudding shots!