If you're looking for a place to support, these empowering charities run by women for women are worth considering. These charities support women across a variety of areas, including housing, employment, social justice, political equality, and more. If you want to support a charity that helps females be all that they can, look at these programs as a starting point.
Girls Inc. is a nonprofit organization that empowers girls to be strong, smart, and bold. The organization serves more than three million girls in 1,500 communities across the United States through research-based programs that provide opportunities for growth.
Girls Inc. was founded in 1917 by Eleanor Roosevelt as part of her campaign to help young women get an education after World War I ended. Today, it continues this mission by providing girls with opportunities for lifelong success by helping them grow into confident adults who can change their communities and make a difference around the world.
There are a few ways to give, including:
- Donate: Help a girl in need by donating to the organization.
- Events: Attend the annual event to meet others, making the world a better place for women.
- Corporate Sponsor: If you own a company, you may want to consider becoming a corporate sponsor.
National Organization for Women
The National Organization for Women, NOW, is a social justice organization that works towards eliminating discrimination against women in all areas of life. NOW's mission is to make it possible for all American women to realize their full potential as productive and contributing members of society. They work towards this goal through lobbying efforts, public education campaigns, and grassroots organizing.
There are several ways to help this organization, including:
She Should Run
If you're passionate about politics and looking for a charity that helps women run for office, She Should Run is the place to start. Since their founding in 2014, they've helped over 70,000 women get elected and have created a network of over 2,000 volunteers who can help you get started on your journey as a candidate. She Should Run has also been awarded grants from organizations like Google and Facebook.
You can help this cause by:
- Donating: Make a one-time donation or a monthly donation.
- Partner: If you own your own organization, become a partner and encourage those in your company to get involved.
Crossroads for Women
Crossroads for Women Inc. is a non-profit, non-residential program that provides services and supports to women who are at high risk of incarceration. Crossroads provide a safe place for women to live while they transition back into the community after release from prison or jail. Women stay at Crossroads while they receive counseling, life skills training, job placement assistance, and help learning how to be better parents for their children.
There are a few ways to help this organization, including:
- Make a Donation: Make it one time or monthly donation of any amount.
- Donate a Car: You can donate anything on wheels from a motorcycle to an old car you aren't using. Farm equipment, totaled vehicles, boats, planes, and fleet equipment are also accepted. The vehicle goes through an auction where it sells for charity donation.
- Volunteer: Volunteer positions vary, but if you check out the website from time to time, you may see something you're good at and can be of service.
Women for Women International
Women For Women International is a grassroots humanitarian and development organization that empowers women survivors of war to lead lives of dignity, peace and stability. Women for Women International staff and local partners work with women in over 20 countries around the world to provide them with support, skills training and resources necessary for economic self-sufficiency. They also provide leadership training for local community members to ensure long-term sustainability of their work.
Women for Women International is guided by the belief that women are key agents of change in their communities. By empowering women with skills, knowledge and confidence to make positive changes in their lives and those of their families, communities are strengthened from within and thus better able to address complex issues such as poverty, gender inequality, and violence against women.
To support this organization:
- Sponsor: Become a sponsor with a monthly donation to support one individual woman on her path to a better future.
- Volunteer: Support survivors of war by hosting a party. The organization provides the resources necessary to discuss the project with your guests.
- Shop: The organization has shops to help them reach their goals. Commodities range from Rwanda-based jewelry to coffee.
Make a Difference in the Lives of Girls and Women
You have the ability to make a difference in the lives of girls and adult women worldwide. The smallest action could make the largest ripple effect. Whether you make a small donation, volunteer your time, or become a sponsor, each small step can change the world, one person at a time. Look for a charity that's close to your heart and see what you're able to do to help. Remember, you don't have to stretch yourself thin to make a change. Even the smallest amount of help matters.