Kelly Roper is a contributing writer and topic expert with LoveToKnow.com as well as an Editorial Assistant, and she has been with the company since 2006. She has more than 12 years experience as a professional writer and editor and has covered a wide variety of topics.
If an animal has fur, fins, feathers or scales, she has probably kept, bred or shown it at some point in her life.
- She is a former breeder of Shih Tzus, Chihuahuas, and Poodles.
- She was a professional dog show handler who specialized in Toy and Non-Sporting group breeds until the demands of a growing family took precedence. As a handler and breeder, she was also responsible for training and grooming client dogs as well as her own.
- Over the years, she has also bred various types of exotic birds, including parakeets, cockatiels, lovebirds, and Green Cheek Conures. Her personal flock also includes an Amazon parrot and a Lesser Sulfur-Crested Cockatoo who she has owned for over 25 years.
- As a hobby shared with her oldest son and daughter in their younger years, she bred and showed cavies (Guinea pigs).
- Kelly has kept tropical fish occasionally over the years as well, and she has a particular love for bettas, also referred to as Siamese fighting fish.
Food and Cocktails
Kelly has 15 years experience in the restaurant industry, both as a cook and a restaurant manager, and she has overseen numerous events both large and small.
Kelly is also a houseplant enthusiast and a past member of the African Violet Society of America and the American Orchid Society. She has fond memories of attending the famous Chicago Orchid Festival, sitting in on growing seminars, and collecting her favorite varieties. These days her interests are mainly concentrated on cacti and other succulents.
Kelly has had several first-hand, unexplained experiences in a relative's purportedly haunted home that have given her a firm belief that there is more to this world than meets the eye.
Kids and Teens
Kelly is the mother of four and has plenty of practical experience and common sense advice to share. She is also a former Girl Scout Troop Leader, School Recruiter and Service Unit Training Coordinator, and she has taken numerous trainings on working with youths provided by that organization. She also took the Protecting Youth seminar which was provided by her children's school and required of all parent volunteers.
Kelly is married to a hospice chaplain, so it's only natural that she would wind up helping out as a volunteer. She is trained to visit with patients as well as help assist with various tasks at the office. She also helps out with the Bereavement department.
Kelly currently lives in Ohio with her family, one elderly Jack Russell Terrier, a pet cat, and a small collection of parrots.
You can visit her on LinkedIn.