If you've ever planned a wedding, you know that curating a wedding playlist always gets pushed further and further down the checklist. But the post-wedding boogie is one of the most important parts of the entire event. It sets the tone for after-hours socialization and keeps the mood fun. With a blended reception full of extended family members of all ages, you might want to add a few of these classic rock wedding songs to your queue.
Sentimental Classic Rock Ballads Perfect for a Slow Dance
Whether you're dancing with your parent or your partner, you want a song that's both special and broadly appealing. Instrumental slow dances are so a thing of the past. Instead, put a modern mark on your wedding by including these classic rock ballads in your wedding playlist.
- "Something" by The Beatles: Considered one of the greatest love songs ever written, The Beatles' "Something" is perfect classic rock song for a first dance.
- "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith: Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" is a powerful ballad about not wanting to miss a single moment with the one you love. It can also double as a mother-son or father-daughter dance as well.
- "Can't Help Falling in Love" by Elvis Presley: The King of Rock 'n Roll's classic love song "Can't Help Falling in Love" has been a wedding staple for decades.
- "Thank You" by Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin's song "Thank You" features lyrics that express deep gratitude and love, making it very wedding-appropriate.
- "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton: Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" is a sweet song about a man's admiration for his partner.
- "Love Me Tender" by Elvis Presley: Another timeless classic by Elvis, "Love Me Tender" is a gentle and romantic song that's perfect to strike up a slow dance.
- "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)" by James Taylor: James Taylor's "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)" is an upbeat, joyful love song that can get people swaying on the dance floor.
- "She's Got a Way" by Billy Joel: Billy Joel's known for delving deep into human emotions through his music, and "She's Got a Way" is no exception. It's a lovely song about being deeply in love with someone.
- "Angel Eyes" by The Jeff Healey Band: The Jeff Healey Band's "Angel Eyes" is a romantic song that's great for slow dancing.
Romantic Classic Rock Songs to Bob Your Head To
Every wedding reception playlist needs to have an abundance of filler songs. Whoever said those filler songs had be jazzy saxophones or old standards? Keep everyone entertained by picking out rock hits with beats your guest's will know in their bones.
- "Maybe I'm Amazed" by Paul McCartney: "Maybe I'm Amazed" is a love song that the former Beatle wrote for his wife, making it perfect for couples to add to their wedding playlists.
- "You're My Best Friend" by Queen: Queen's "You're My Best Friend" is a sweet song about love and friendship, perfect for couples who started out as friends.
- "Crazy Love" by Van Morrison: Van Morrison's "Crazy Love" has a soft and romantic vibe that makes it a popular pick for wedding DJs.
- "More Than Words" by Extreme: Extreme's beautiful ballad about expressing love "More Than Words" is great for a first dance.
- "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" by The Police: The Police's "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" calls out the unique experience of being absolutely smitten with someone.
- "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel: Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" is an emotive and powerful love song that's great for a memorable dance.
- "Is This Love" by Whitesnake: Whitesnake is known for its massive '80s power ballads, and "Is This Love" doesn't disappoint.
- "God Only Knows" by The Beach Boys: The Beach Boys "God Only Knows" is a beautiful and moving timeless declaration of love.
Raucous Classic Rock Songs to Liven up Your Reception
If you need to save a late-night wedding reception from turning into a snooze fest, just put on one of these classic rock wedding songs. With heavy beats, your guests won't be able to resist these popular sing-along tunes.
- "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns N' Roses: Guns N' Roses' "Sweet Child O' Mine" has an iconic intro and heartfelt lyrics about love and admiration. Naturally, it's a major crowd pleaser.
- "I Was Made for Lovin' You" by KISS: KISS songs are always party classics, and "I Was Made for Lovin' You" is a perfect (and fun) declaration of love.
- "You Make My Dreams" by Hall & Oates: Hall & Oat's "You Make My Dreams" is a positive, upbeat song that's perfect for a joyful wedding reception.
- "Have I Told You Lately" by Rod Stewart: Rod Stewart's "Have I Told You Lately" is a song about expressing your everyday mundane love for someone, which is a perfect reminder for newly wedded couples.
- "You Shook Me All Night Long" by ACDC: Hello honeymoon. Need we say more? ACDC's epic hit is also a great dance tune.
- "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica: For couples who are fans of heavier rock, Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" is a raw love song about trust and connection.
- "White Wedding" by Billy Idol: Okay - so it's about a shotgun wedding, but it's also a super fun song. So, if you're feeling bold, "White Wedding" just may get the crowd going.
- "Faithfully" by Journey: Journey's "Faithfully" is about enduring love and commitment, perfect for your nuptials.
- "The Best" by Tina Turner: Tina Turner's "The Best" is a high-energy declaration of love and admiration.
- "I Want to Know What Love Is" by Foreigner: Foreigner's classic power ballad is a grand and passionate ode to love that'll get everyone singing along.
- "The One I Love" by REM: REM's "The One I Love" is a great choice for the more alternative-leaning couples since it's a catchy, upbeat rock song.
- "Heaven" by Bryan Adams: Bryan Adam's "Heaven" is a beautiful slow song that feels heavenly to listen to.
Any Time Is Classic Rock Time
Stuffy wedding traditions are a thing of the past. Who needs to blend in with millions of couples who've marched down the aisle to the wedding march? Instead, make your wedding the spectacle it deserves to be by adding these classic rock wedding songs to your ultimate wedding playlist.