If you're looking for a tasty tropical drink that'll help blast you off to a more beachy vibe, then our boozy Baja Blast recipe is the perfect rocket fuel to launch you into orbit. With a cool coconut flavor and a caffeine-fueled Mountain Dew bump, this cocktail will help power you through an evening out.
Boozy Baja Blast Recipe
We love the light blue color of this tasty drink. While we don't really know what color rocket fuel actually is (according to Google, the most recent color is salmon pink), this is what we think rocket fuel should look and taste like (but please only drink a Baja Blast... not actual rocket fuel).
- 1 ounce coconut rum
- ¾ ounce peach liqueur
- ¾ ounce blue curaçao
- 2 ounces Mountain Dew
- 2 ounces lemon-lime soda
- Lime wheel for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice, coconut rum, peach liqueur, and blue curaçao.
- Shake to chill.
- Strain into a highball glass over fresh ice.
- Top off with Mountain Dew and lemon-lime soda.
- Stir to mix.
- Garnish with a lime wheel.
Boozy Baja Blast Recipe Variations and Substitutions
You have plenty of options when it comes to swapping ingredients or stirring up an original riff with a boozy Baja Blast drink.
- Keep it simple by mixing eight ounces of classic Mountain Dew Baja Blast with two ounces of tequila, rum, or vodka for a classic highball.
- Skip the peach liqueur and add extra coconut rum or substitute pineapple liqueur.
- Play with the ratio of Mountain Dew to lemon-lime soda for your preferred flavoring.
- Add a half to a three-quarters ounce of cherry liqueur to make your Baja Blast a cherry smash.
- Instead of coconut rum, use plain rum. Alternatively, you can also use vodka or tequila.
One of Mountain Dew's most popular flavors, Baja Blast used to only be available at Taco Bell. Now, it's everywhere in grocery stores, so you don't need to make a Taco Bell run every time you crave its fruity flavors.
Garnishes for a Fancy Boozy Baja Blast
Swap your lime wheel or build on it with a few of these fun garnish ideas.
- Garnish with several cherries pierced on a cocktail skewer.
- Sprinkle coconut flakes over the drink or make a coconut shaving rim by rubbing the glass rim with a lime and then dipping into the shavings.
- Layer several citrus garnishes together, such as a lime wheel with an orange slice or a lemon wheel with a lime wedge.
- Use a peach slice for a fruity and flavorful garnish that also becomes a boozy snack at the end of the drink.
Blast Off to Baja
Buckle up and blast off with a boozy Baja Blast drink recipe, as it is nothing short of the stuff dreams are made of. Whether you take the easy route and mix together a classic Mountain Dew Baja Blast with some tequila or build an alcoholic Baja Blast drink from the ground up, you'll never again need a 99-cent taco run to get that tasty tropical flavor.