- 1½ ounces coconut rum
- ½ ounce vodka
- 1 ounce pineapple juice
- ½ ounce grenadine
- Orange slice for garnish
- Chill a martini glass or coupe.
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice, coconut rum, vodka, and pineapple juice.
- Shake to chill.
- Strain into chilled glass.
- Slowly pour grenadine down the side of the glass, allowing it to settle and create a layer.
- Garnish with orange slice.
Bikini Martini Variations and Substitutions
There are actually a few different bikini martini recipes, including one that results in a blue color! Consider trying a few of these swaps out.
- For an ocean blue bikini martini, use one and a half ounces of dry gin, a three-quarters ounce of blue curaçao, and a quarter ounce each of peach liqueur and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Shake to chill and serve in a martini glass with an orange slice or orange peel.
- Use equal parts orange juice and pineapple juice.
- Instead of plain vodka, use flavored a vodka such as vanilla or whipped cream.
- Skip the vodka entirely and use a silver rum or tequila in its place instead.
Garnishes for the Bikini Tini
The bikini martini practically demands a tropical garnish.
- Pierce a pineapple wedge on a cocktail skewer.
- Drop in a maraschino cherry to emphasize the red grenadine layer.
- Alternate maraschino cherries with a pineapple wedge on a cocktail skewer for a tropical and colorful-looking garnish.
- Rub the rim of the glass with a lime wedge and dip the rim in shredded coconut.
A Story About the Bikini Tini
Many cocktails have been around for decades, but the bikini martini isn't one of them. The bikini itself is just over 75 years old. It splashed onto the scene in 1946, after Jacques Helm, a Parisian designer, released what he called the Atome. The high-waisted design didn't catch right away, and a second version found its way to the market by another clothing designer. This time named the bikini, and it stuck. The risqué look was met with horror, but as often happens, the bikini was all the talk and soon gripped the attention of beachgoers.
The bikini martini has no such scandalous story but is the ideal way to enjoy a summer day with those warm pineapple and coconut rum flavors. You can almost imagine that the layers in the martini represent the top and bottom of a bikini.
Slip Into a Bikini Martini
Slip into something a bit more comfortable than your usual rum punch or margarita in favor of something a little lighter: the bikini martini. It's up to you whether you enjoy this in pajamas or something a little more warm weather.