- In a rocks glass, muddle the orange peel, sugar cube, mole bitters, and habanero bitters.
- Add the tequila and a splash of water. Stir.
- Add the king cube.
Variations and Substitutions
It's easy to change the flavors of añejo old-fashioned with some simple substitutions.
- Replace the orange peel with a lime peel or wedge for a slightly more tart drink.
- Replace the sugar cube with 1 teaspoon of coffee-flavored liqueur for a winter tequila drink.
- Replace the sugar cube with 1 teaspoon of orange-flavored liqueur.
- Replace the mole and habanero bitters with 2-3 dashes of cinnamon or orange bitters.
- Instead of adding a splash of water at the end, add a splash of ginger beer.
The classic old-fashioned garnish is an orange peel or wedge and a cherry, and you can certainly use that garnish for this drink in place of a single muddled orange peel. Additional garnishes to try:
- Garnish with a whole chili pepper.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick.
- Skewer a blood-orange wedge on a cocktail pick.
- Garnish with a candied citrus peel.
- Skewer candied ginger and a cherry for garnish.
- Garnish with a slice of jalapeño.
About the Añejo Tequila Old-Fashioned
If your previous tequila experience consists of margaritas and shots of blanco tequila with a lime wedge chaser, then an añejo tequila old-fashioned will be a revelation. Añejo (pronounced ah-NYEH-ho) tequila is barrel-aged, adding tequila's earthy flavors to the vanilla and toast notes you find in a traditional bourbon or whiskey. And that's what makes it such a great replacement for whiskey in an old-fashioned cocktail. The mole and habanero bitters add a dash of complexity and a hint of heat while the demerara sugar brings warm caramel notes to the cocktail. The result is slightly smoky, lightly sweet, and so completely delicious you may never go back to tequila shots again. So whether your favorite spirit is tequila or you're more of a whiskey lover, the añejo tequila old-fashioned is a great way to expand your repertoire.
Say Hola to an Old-Fashioned
The añejo tequila old-fashioned is a delicious and earthy twist on the original whiskey old-fashioned. So bring a taste of one of Mexico's finest spirits to a simple, classic cocktail. ¡Salud!