Beat the heat this spring and summer with one of Spain's favorite warm-weather quenchers, the rebujito (pronounced rebu-xito). If you love wine punches by the pitcher like sangria, you'll adore this easy-to-make cocktail punch. So try our rebujito cocktail recipe any time you want a crisp, refreshing bevvie.
How to Make a Rebujito Cocktail
If you're a fan of Arnold Palmer, you can use it for this recipe. Use 1 liter of iced tea and 1 liter of lemonade instead of the lemon-lime soda for the recipe below. This recipe makes 6 servings.
- 1 bottle (750 mL) of dry sherry, such as fino or manzanilla
- 2 liters of lemonade or lemon-lime soda
- 8 mint sprigs
- Combine the sherry and lemonade or soda in a large bowl or pitcher. Stir well to mix.
- Fill stemless white wine glasses with ice. Add the lemonade mixture.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint.
The rebujito punch originated in Andalusia and was named after the Spanish word arrebujar, which means to wrap. This delicious cocktail is often served at Andalusian fairs (also called ferias) in the spring and summer.
Variations and Substitutions
Want to change it up? It's easy to make variations on the rebujito.
- Make yourself a homemade lemonade, which often has a fresher flavor than pre-made bottled or powdered lemonade.
- Use half lemonade and half lemon-lime soda.
- Use a fizzy soda, such as cherry limeade, instead of lemonade or soda, or experiment with other flavors of lemonade, such as strawberry or raspberry lemonade.
- Add 1 cup of blackberries or raspberries to the lemonade and sherry mixture and stir, using a spoon to extract the juice lightly as you do.
- Use a dry white wine or a dry sparkling wine instead of the sherry. Add ½ cup of Cognac or Armagnac to the punch.
- Try it with another dry, fortified wine, such as dry vermouth or a dry Madeira, instead of the sherry.
A simple mint sprig is a classic garnish. You could also try:
- A citrus wedge, wheel, or peel
- Basil sprig
- Thyme sprig
- Dried citrus
- A pretty fresh or dried edible flower
A Thirst-Quenching Summer Cocktail
Although lemonade is refreshing, adding a bit of sherry can turn your punch into a summertime cocktail. So, while you may not be able to make it to Andalusia this summer to enjoy the feria, you can capture its spirit in your backyard by mixing up a pitcher of rebujito.