You've seen those giant decorated cookies in bakeries for years, but it's actually really easy to make your own chocolate chip cookie cake for a birthday or other special event (and we won't judge if you just want to make a really big cookie for no reason at all). As a bonus, there's nothing like the smell of a huge chocolate chip cookie baking in your oven to make your house smell like a home.
Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake Recipe
For this big cookie, you're going to need a big pan. Luckily, you already have one. Grab your pizza pan (12 inches is ideal) and a few simple ingredients. This recipe technically serves 12, but if you're really hungry and have enough time on your hands, it may only serve one.
- 8 ounces room-temperature butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large room-temperature eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cooking spray for the pan
- Heat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a 12-inch round pizza pan or similar pan with a low rim with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until fully incorporated.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, cream of tartar, and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients to the butter-sugar-eggs mixture and beat until well blended.
- Stir in the chocolate chips until well distributed throughout the cookie dough.
- Pat the dough into the prepared round pan and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes or until the edges are starting to crisp up and the middle is almost firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
You can eat your giant chocolate chip cookie cake while it's still warm and gooey or after it has cooled completely, but if you're going to decorate it, let it cool first.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake Decorating Tricks
Your cookie cake looks amazing as it is, but if you want to make it even more festive and fun, you can decorate it with icing or frosting. This is awesome for a birthday or other special event. Here are a few tips to help:
- Using your favorite icing recipe or canned frosting, food coloring, and a piping bag with tips, decorate with a border of stars or scallops around the perimeter of the cake. Use a writing tip to inscribe a message or draw other decorations if this is a celebration cake.
- If you don't have a piping bag or tips, you can place the frosting in a zip-top plastic bag, snip a tiny piece off one corner, and squeeze the frosting out this way.
- If you don't care to pipe at all, simply spread a thin layer of frosting on the entire top of the cookie cake. Add sprinkles for a festive look.
- For a funky "cookie monster," use frosting to add eyes and a mouth.
Perfect for a Special Occasion or an Ordinary Day
Whether you're using a chocolate chip cookie cake recipe for a special occasion like a birthday or you're just turning an ordinary day into something cookie-filled and magical, this is an easy cake to make. You can even involve kids in the process. We guarantee this is the kind of baking project they'll remember.