- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 finely chopped shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (or 2 tablespoons fresh basil)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 2 teaspoons fresh oregano)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large can tomato sauce + 1 medium can tomato sauce (approximately 4 1/2 - 5 cups of tomato sauce)
- 12 dry lasagna noodles
- 1 pint part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 additional tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, brown ground beef and onion over medium heat; drain fat. Mix in garlic, basil, oregano, and salt. Stir in tomato sauce. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until al dente. Drain.
- In a medium bowl, mix together ricotta, Parmesan cheese, parsley and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish with a layer of lasagna noodles. Cover noodles with 1/2 of the ricotta mixture, 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese and 1/4 of the sauce. Repeat with another layer of noodles, then ricotta, mozzarella and sauce. Top with remaining noodles and sauce. Sprinkle additional Parmesan cheese and the remaining mozzarella over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- You may also add lightly cooked zucchini or eggplant or raw spinach for a vegetable-filled lasagne
- ''Lasagne can be prepared ahead and reheated the next day; often, it tastes even better.
© 2023 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.