Did you burn a bit of cheese or popcorn in your microwave? You don't need to just throw it out or deal with the smell. Instead, you can get it smelling fresh and clean again in a few steps. Learn how to get the burnt smell out of the microwave with ease.
How to Remove Burnt Smells - Materials
Burning something in your microwave happens to the best of us. You think you microwave it for 2 minutes only to realize you hit 6 instead. Now that cheese has ruined not only your bowl, but your microwave smells awful. Thankfully, you can get rid of the stink with a few ingredients.
- White vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla extract
- Microfiber cloth
- Baking soda
- Paper towel
Step 1: Steam the Microwave
Most of the time, if you've burnt something, it leaves chunks in the microwave. This debris is extremely hard to remove. But you can steam them away.
- Fold a paper towel in fourths.
- Wet it
- Put it in the microwave for 1 minute or until the glass steams.
- Leave it in the microwave for 10-15 minutes.
Step 2: Wipe Out the Microwave
Once you have the microwaved all steamed out, it's time to get down to cleaning. Cleaning it out before deodorizing, ensures all the smells are gone.
- Remove the turntable and put it in the sink with some soapy water.
- Use the warm paper towel to wipe everything inside the microwave down.
- Wash the turntable and replace it.
Step 3: Deodorizing With Vinegar or Lemon
Now that you've gotten all the debris removed from your microwave, you can get rid of the burnt smell. For this, you need to grab the lemon juice or white vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Put a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in a bowl with water. (You can also put half a lemon in the bowl if you don't have juice.)
- Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to white vinegar for fragrance.
- Microwave the bowl for 5 minutes.
- Allow it to sit for 10 or so minutes.
- Wipe the microwave with a cloth.
Step 4: Create a Baking Soda Paste
Sometimes just the vinegar or lemon juice is enough to completely eliminate the odor. If you still notice a burnt smell, grab the baking soda.
- Add a cup of baking soda to a bowl.
- Slowly add water until you have a watery paste.
Step 5: Allow the Baking Soda to Sit
Once you've created your paste, it's time to add the heat.
- Microwave the paste for about 2-3 minutes.
- Allow it to sit in the microwave overnight if possible.
- Pull it out and wipe out the microwave again.
- Repeat the steps if you still have a smell lingering.
Important Tip for Removing Burnt Scent From Microwave
When it comes to how to get the burnt popcorn smell out of the microwave, you want to make sure to remove the scent as soon as possible. If you burnt some popcorn, don't just let the scent linger. Why? Because every time you use the microwave, it sets the scent into the plastic of the microwave making it even harder to remove.
How to Get Burnt Smell Out of the Microwave
Burnt food happens in the kitchen from the stove to the microwave. Get your microwave smelling fresh again with a little baking soda and vinegar. Lemon is also a good choice for those that don't enjoy the white vinegar smell.