You've made the splurge and you're ready to snuggle into bed with your brand new bamboo sheets. But before you can sink into comfort and luxury, you need to wash them. And there's nothing more nerve-wracking than washing something new for the first time. (We can't be the only ones with laundry anxiety, right?) Not to worry, washing, storing, caring for, and even spot treating your bamboo sheets is a total breeze.
How To Wash Bamboo Bed Sheets for the First Time
There's no special song or dance when it comes to laundering your bamboo sheets. All you need is regular laundry detergent!
- Add your bamboo sheets, on their own, to your washing machine along with laundry detergent.
- Wash your bamboo sheets on gentle or permanent press with cold water.
- Dry immediately after washing.
Wash your bamboo sheets by themselves to prevent anything from snagging, fraying, ripping, or tearing them.
How to Dry Bamboo Sheets
Whether you toss your sheets into the dryer or grab some clothespins, drying your bamboo sheets is easy. However, take care when removing them from the washer, as bamboo fibers are fragile when wet.
- Add your bamboo sheets to the dryer.
- Dry using low heat or tumble air-dry.
- Remove your sheets before they're totally dry and allow them to air dry to avoid wrinkles or shrinkage.
Alternatively, you can hang your bamboo sheets up to dry using a clothesline or drying rack. If you want to iron your sheets to smooth out any wrinkles, do so with care and only on low heat. You can also use a steamer instead.
To keep your bamboo sheets fresh, launder them approximately every 10 days or so.
How to Treat Bamboo Sheets for Stains and Spot Removal
We all get into bed with a little bit of makeup on sometimes, maybe have a snack, and suddenly you have a stain on your bamboo sheets. Grab a soft-bristled brush and some detergent or white vinegar, and you're on your way back to clean sheets. Do not use chlorine bleach, or else you risk weakening the fibers and tearing your sheets.
- Add a drop of detergent to the stain.
- Gently swirl the detergent into the stain using your fingers or a soft brush.
- Allow the detergent to sit for approximately 10 to 30 minutes.
- Wash as usual. Do not dry sheets until the stain is removed.
For oily stains, use one part white vinegar with four parts of water, and treat the stain the same way as the detergent. Allow the vinegar mix to sit for approximately two to three hours, however. Then wash as usual.
The Best Way to Store Bamboo Bedding
Now that your sheets are clean, storing them is an important second part in making them last and last well. Aside from laundering them every week or so, in order to keep body oils and other dirt from accumulating, storing them correctly helps too.
- Only store your bamboo sheets after washing and drying them completely.
- Keep your bamboo sheets in a linen closet or drawer, and out of direct sunlight.
- To avoid wrinkles, roll your sheets rather than folding. But if wrinkles aren't an issue, then feel free to gently fold as usual.
- There's no need to store your bamboo sheets in a plastic container or bag. Simply leave them on a shelf in a cool, dry place.
How to Make Bamboo Sheets Last
A quick set of dos and don'ts of how to make those bamboo sheets love you back.
- To get rid of any pilling and extend the life of your sheets, handwash your sheets or use a laundry detergent with enzyme cellulase to banish the pills.
- Never use chlorine bleach.
- You can use oxygen-based bleach to whiten bamboo sheets.
- Wash every 7-12 days to extend the life of your sheets.
- Take care when removing them from the washing machine.
- Do not store in a plastic bag, instead roll or fold them gently (sharp folds can cause tears) and simply place them on a shelf.
Following these tips, you can expect your bamboo sheets to last nearly five years.
Mastering the Art and Care of Bamboo Bedding
Let the worries of the day slip away, and snuggle right into your bed. You'll be curled up in bed with fresh, new, and clean bamboo sheets in no time. And you'll no longer lose sleep over how to keep them fresh and looking new. That's a win.