Everyone has to make decisions that they're indecisive about. Some are small and mundane, while other decisions may be life-changing. In either case, pendulum divination is an easy and effective way to get an answer to your question.
How to Use a Pendulum for Divination
A pendulum swings in reaction to a force. Some believe pendulum divination is a way to get in touch with spirit guides. Others think they tap into your own intuition or subconscious. Perhaps it's a combination of both. In either case, the pendulum is allowed to swing freely while you ask a yes or no question. The direction the pendulum swings answers your question.
Choose Your Pendulum
You can buy a pendulum from a specialty shop or purchase one online. The pendants on the pendulums you buy are usually pointed gemstones. You can also make your own pendulum. Your pendulum can be as simple as a key suspended on a string, or a piece of jewelry, such as a heavy wedding ring on a chain or a necklace with a pendant.
Cleansing, Charging, and Programing Your Pendulum
Cleansing, charging, and programming your pendulum are very important steps, especially if you purchased one. A pendulum purchased from a store has been touched and handled by many people. You'll get the best results from your pendulum if it has only your energy attached to it.
Cleansing Your Pendulum
There are several simple ways a beginner can cleanse their pendulum.
- Use incense or light a smudge stick. Blow out the flame and move the pendulum at least four times through the fragrant smoke.
- Put your pendulum in a container with citrine and leave it undisturbed for 24 hours.
- Place your pendulum directly in the morning or late afternoon sunlight for up to four hours.
- During a full moon, place your pendulum on a windowsill and let it sit overnight.
- Nestle it among cleansed crystals.
- Place it underneath a pyramid replica.
- Put it in a singing bowl and strike the bowl.
- Place it in a stream and let the water wash over it.
Recharging Your Pendulum
After your pendulum is cleansed, you'll need to "recharge" it with beneficial, positive energy. To recharge your pendulum:
- Use therapeutic sound, light, blessings, or your own physical touch.
- Put your pendulum in your pocket and carry it with you for several days.
Programing Your Pendulum
Now you need to establish how your pendulum will respond to your questions. The important thing is to program your pendulum in a way that feels comfortable to you. Do so in a way you can best remember the meaning of its movements. Ways to program a pendulum:
- Many diviners say you're supposed to suspend the pendulum and ask it how it will move for "yes," "no," "I don't know," or "rephrase the question."
- Other diviners believe that you need to decide how the pendulum will move in answer to your questions.
How to Hold a Pendulum
There are many ways to hold the pendulum. Try several to determine the most comfortable for you. Ways to hold pendulum:
- Use the hand you write with to suspend the pendulum.
- Thread a chain or cord around your ring finger and drape over your index finger.
- Hold the pendulum chain between your thumb and index finger.
Some pendulum diviners argue that a handheld pendulum use can be accidentally manipulated. To avoid any type of interference, these diviners use a pendulum stand.
Create Your Space
Find a quiet space with no distractions, cleanse your space by smudging it, decorate it with crystals or earth elements, light a candle and get comfy. Breathe deeply, clear your mind, and center yourself so you'll be open and unbiased. Then focus on your question.
As a beginner, ask simple yes and no questions. You might even want to ask questions you know the answers to. Keep experimenting until you begin to feel comfortable. Once you get the hang of it and have your programing down pat, you can move on to more serious questions.
Framing a Good Question
To frame a good question, you need to be specific. For example, don't ask, "Should I go to the party?" instead ask, "Is it in my best interest to attend the party at John Jones' house in Atlanta on July 4th?"
Asking Your Question
Sit at a table and rest your elbow on it. Your grip should be relaxed, and the pendant suspended at the other end of the cord or chain should hang freely, without tension. Cup your free hand underneath the pendulum to help focus energy. Start the pendulum moving before asking your question. Ask your question, be patient, and allow the pendulum as much time as it needs to settle into the direction that answers your question.
If you begin to feel uncomfortable or at any time while conversing with your pendulum, stop! This can be an indication that there is an unfriendly spirit nearby.
Spend Time With Your Pendulum
If you really want to master pendulum divination, spend time working with your pendulum every day. Put it in a small pouch and carry it with you as you go about your daily routines. Time spent with your pendulum will only increase the special bond you have with it.