If you're seeking creative ideas for gift baskets to give a family, you have lots of great options. Whether it's a family night gift basket or a themed basket filled with gifts that will encourage bonding time, these clever offerings can help you share the gift of togetherness with a family you love.
Family Game Night Gift Basket
A game night is an easy and popular idea for family night activities. For a game night gift basket, consider including:
- One or two inexpensive board games for multiple players
- Homemade scorecards personalized with family members' names
- Deck of cards or family card games
- Snack mix, candy, or cookies to share while playing
- Book of magic tricks
Choose games that can be played repeatedly or that have different sets of rules so they can be enjoyed again and again, giving a family many fun game nights to enjoy.
Baking Treats Gift Basket
Baking a dessert together is a sweet way to spend family time together. Options for a family night baking gift basket include:
- Cake, cookie, or brownie mixes
- Collection of favorite dessert recipes or a dessert cookbook
- Baking tins or pans
- Colorful potholders or oven mitts
- Festive sprinkles and decorative icings
- Cookie cutters or cupcake liners
- Homemade jar mixes
If you are putting together a baking gift basket, be sure to consider any special dietary needs such as diabetes or nut allergies. Also, be sure to include recipes that all family members can help with, such as simple recipes for children to bake.
Movie Night Gift Basket
Movie nights are popular with many families because they are easy to arrange and can be great for all ages. Try some of these items:
- A classic DVD (some kids won't even know what a DVD is!) or you can rent a movie on Amazon, Hulu, or Disney Plus
- Packets of microwave popcorn
- Flavored popcorn toppings
- Novelty popcorn bowls or paper popcorn bags
- Boxes of movie candy
- Soda pop
- Homemade, personalized movie "tickets" for each family member
Family movie gift baskets should include movies or cartoons suitable for every family member, and ideally, the movie should be one the family has not yet seen to allow for prime enjoyment.
Outdoor Adventure Gift Basket
Spending time outdoors brings families closer together and builds healthy exercise habits and an appreciation for nature. Consider:
- Small pair(s) of binoculars
- Bird, tree, insect, or mammal field guide
- Butterfly net or insect jar
- Bottled water
- Trail mix
- Bug spray
- Map of local and regional trails
If your family or the family you are planning the gift basket for has specific outdoor interests such as hiking, biking, birding, skiing, kayaking, or stargazing, you can add specific gifts to the basket to coordinate with those interests.
Family Scrapbooking Gift Basket
Scrapbooking is a great way to preserve family memories, and it can be a fun family project to create a themed scrapbook. Look for:
- Scrapbook album
- Specialized scrapbooking papers
- Stickers, ribbons, and other accents
- Specialty shapes scissors
- Ruler or tape measure
- Photo corners for picture mounting
- Colored pencils or markers
- Scrapbooking how-to book
- Glue sticks
This is a great gift basket idea for a family that has recently done something unique, such as welcoming a new family member, taking a vacation, or celebrating a special event.
Spiritual Gift Basket
Many families use together time as an opportunity to strengthen their spirituality by sharing Bible study or other religious activities. Think about these items:
- Personalized family Bible, hymnal, or another religious book
- Religious candle holder and candles
- Children's religious games or DVDs
- Bible study journal
- Religious bookmarks
- CD of religious music
Always be respectful of another family's beliefs when creating a religious-themed gift basket; choose items that coordinate with their beliefs and are suitable for all ages.
Family Gardening Gift Basket
Gardening is a great family activity, especially on summer evenings after a hot day. A gardening-themed gift basket might include:
- Gardening hand tools
- Seed packets
- Watering can or small sprinkler
- Matching garden hats, gloves, or shoes for every family member
- Plant markers
- Fertilizer sticks
- Gardening how-to book
- Recipes for garden produce
A gardening gift basket will give back to a family for weeks, first as they enjoy time together to tend their garden, then later as they enjoy their harvest.
Pizza Party Gift Basket
Pizza is a popular meal for an entire family, and there are many ways to personalize pizza so every family member can have exactly what they enjoy. Consider including:
- Pizza stone or cooking pan
- Pizza cutter
- Crust mix
- Jar of pizza sauce
- Dipping sauces for crust or breadsticks
- Gourmet pizza recipe book
- Red-checked tablecloth and napkins
- Two-liter of soda or individual soda bottles
- Assorted additional pizza toppings
Cooking homemade pizza can be fun for a family to create a meal together, and it can lead to a delicious family night they can enjoy week after week.
Family Fitness Gift Basket
Encourage fun and fitness with a workout-themed family gift basket. Get buff with the inside stuff!
- Hand weights
- Sweat towels and sweat headbands
- Resistance bands
- Water bottles
- Electrolyte powder
- Yoga mat or two
No one wants to work out alone, so beat the bore by using a basket such as this to get the whole family moving together.
Beach Lovers Family Gift Basket
If you know a family that loves to hit the beach or has a beach house, compile everything a family might need for a day of fun in the sun.
- Beach towels
- Facial mister
- Flip flops
Maybe the family you give this basket to will be so tickled pink over it, they will invite you along on their next sandy excursion.
Book Club Gift Basket
Reading as a family has countless benefits. Create a gift basket for a family of bookworms who enjoy bonding over literature.
- Variety of books, either several copies of the same book to use in a family book circle or different books to use for read-alouds
- Reading glasses for the parents
- Cute bookmarks
- A book light
- A cozy blanket for cuddling up with those books
- A few mugs because books and tea are the ultimate combo
These kinds of baskets can be tailored to the ages of people in the family. For families with older children, gravitate towards books that can be used in a book club. For families with little ones, put some classic children's books in the basket to encourage togetherness and a love of reading.
School Days Gift Basket
School is a family affair. While the kids go off to get their learn on, the parents are never far behind, helping with homework, test prep, and projects. Before starting a school year, pack a basket full of everything that the kids and the parents will need to get that year's educational journey off to a good start.
- Pencils, pens, crayons, and markers
- Pencil cases
- Magnets for lockers (older kids)
- Math fact flashcards
- Advil (for parents who will suffer more than one headache over science fair projects and math exams)
The school year will be filled with many achievements and successes and likely a smattering of bumps in the road. A school gift basket might help get kids excited for returning to the classroom, and parents will appreciate the extra supplies that they no longer have to go out and purchase.
Mad Scientist Gift Basket
Science is something both educational and fun for kids and parents alike. Make a mad scientist-themed gift basket full of items that will allow families to learn and have fun.
- A couple of lab coats
- Plastic beakers
- Safety goggles
- Test tube set
- Petri dishes
- 1-2 books filled with fun science experiments to try
- Basic supplies used in kids' science experiments like vinegar, dish soap, food coloring, oil, cotton, coffee filters,
Science-themed gift baskets can really run the gambit regarding materials. Consider the ages of the family members, and remember that you are doing this for the point of fun. Pick items and experiments that will make kids think science is the coolest thing and will make parents happy to participate. The activities should not feel like work to anybody.
Staycation Gift Basket
Sometimes the best family activities are the ones that take place in our communities and homes. Staycations are ever-popular ways to bond with your family, and remaining close to home saves money and supports the local businesses. Create a gift basket with items centered around your community.
- Gift cards from local businesses
- Food items local bakeries or grocery marts
- Items from local boutiques
- Shirts or bumper stickers with local school spirit or mascot
Communities are known for being supportive spaces, so reach out to a few local businesses, asking them to donate a supply or a gift card.
Team Spirit Gift Basket
If you know a family that bleeds team colors, make them a gift basket that highlights their team spirit.
- Pom poms in the team colors
- Tickets to a game
- Coozies with the team logo
- Key chains, lanyards, or other small items that represent the team
- An official team flag to display at their home
- Bumper stickers or team decals
Tips for Family Gift Baskets
No matter what theme you plan for a family night gift basket…
- Choose gifts and items suitable for all ages. Make sure there is something in there for everybody.
- Allow for some variety or choice in how the family uses the gift basket
- Decorate the basket with ribbon, tissue paper, miniature balloons, or other festive accents
Give the Gift of Family Time
A gift basket can be an ideal gift to welcome a new family into the neighborhood, help a family celebrate a special occasion, or to give holiday gifts that an entire family can enjoy. With many different family gift basket ideas to choose from, there's a theme that's perfect for every group.