Should I go to prom? If you're asking yourself this question, you're not alone. It can be a little challenging to decide whether or not to go. If you're not sure about going to the dance, don't stress - you can make the choice that feels right to you. Here are a few things to think about that could help you decide.
Should I Go to Prom?
Prom can be an incredible experience that marks the end of your high school career. There are lots of reasons to go to prom - after all, whether you have a date or not, it can be a great time to hang out with friends, enjoy each other's company, and savor the final moments of high school. However, there are lots of reasons you might not want to as well, and that's your choice.
Reasons You Might Decide to Go to Prom
If you're leaning towards participating in this high school tradition, here are some reasons why you may decide to go to prom.
- It may be one of the last times all of your friends are in the same location for a while.
- It's fun to get dressed up and take pictures with your friends before prom.
- You could get to ride in a limo or other cool car.
- It's a good way to let loose and enjoy the company of your peers before everyone heads off to start their next chapter in life.
- You'll make memories you'll cherish as you look back on your teen years.
- It's a nice ending to your high school career.
- You might ask or get asked by someone you like.
- You may have a boyfriend or girlfriend and want to go to the dance as a couple.
- Some schools have prom after parties that can be a lot of fun.
Going to Prom Without a Date
If you want to go to prom, but don't have a date, there's no need to worry. You can still have a fantastic time with your friends while going stag. Going without a date means that:
- You can make it a pressure-free outing with friends.
- You can divide your time and enjoy hanging out with different friend groups all night.
- If you aren't having a good time, you can leave whenever you'd like.
- You can save some money on what is normally an expensive evening.
Reasons to Skip Prom
If prom isn't your jam, or if you're still on the fence, it's important to think about why you don't want to go. Some of the main reasons teens decide not to attend prom are:
- The person you want to go with is going with someone else.
- You don't enjoy dancing or large crowds.
- Your close friends aren't going.
- You would rather do something else by yourself or with friends.
- You won't be in town or have a previously planned event on the same day.
- You don't think that it will be fun.
- It can be expensive.
- This event can turn into a popularity contest.
Do You Have to Go to Prom?
If you aren't into the idea of going to prom, then you don't have go. In the grand scheme of things, it's one single night among tens of thousands that you will have in your life. While it can be a lot of fun, it is not for everyone.
If the uncertainty of the night's activities has you worried or unenthused, remember that you can always leave if you find you're not having a good time. However, if you want to do something else, then make it a night to remember in a way that seems fun to you. Dress up or down, rent a fun ride, enjoy some good food, and make some awesome plans!
If you feel pressure from friends or family members to attend your prom, remember that ultimately you need to make the decision that is best for you. You can try talking to them about why you don't want to go, but you can also just simply let them know you've decided not to. If you won't enjoy going or decide not to go to prom for any reason, it's ok to make other plans.
Activities to Do Instead of Prom
If you decide prom's not for you, then make your night unforgettable in a different way. Many of these activities can be just as memorable (or even more so) than attending prom.
- Go to a concert.
- Attend a sporting event.
- Visit an amusement park.
- Enjoy a comedy show.
- Take a cooking class.
- Try your hand at fluid art.
- Go out to dinner at a new restaurant.
- Visit a local landmark.
- Go to a festival.
- Have a get-together with other close-friends who aren't going to prom.
Make the Right Choice for You
To go to prom or to not go to prom - it might feel like a big question, but it's not something that should cause you stress. If you're undecided, ask yourself - will I wonder about what might have been in a year or ten years from now? Your senior prom only happens once, so just be sure to think about which decision feels right. Go with your gut and trust your intuition. No matter which route you choose, if it's one you feel comfortable with, you can't go wrong.