Lent is a 40-day period that runs from Ash Wednesday through sundown on Holy Thursday, which is three days prior to Easter Sunday. It represents a period of fasting and sacrifice that Catholics and many other Christians observe. Lent is a time for reflection and prayer in preparation for Christ's Resurrection. In addition to prayer and other Lenten traditions, like giving up something for Lent, quotes, and sayings about the season can provide a way to express what it means to you, while honoring your faith.
Inspirational Lent Quotes
Lent is a time of devotion and mindfulness, yet it's also a time to renew your faith and hope for what is yet to come. Get inspired with these lovely quotes that convey important messages about the meaning of Lent.
- Be humble in the glory of what is to come.
- Be patient and trust in the Lord.
- Lent leads to everlasting life.
- Sacrifice is but a small price to pay for eternal salvation.
- Lent is the time to plant the seeds of faith for what is yet to come.
- Lent is a journey that brings us closer to the light of God.
- Lent is a journey to the reward of the Resurrection.
- From the darkness will come rejoicing; He will rise from the dead.
- "It is not a simple matter of living through forty days; Lent is the epitome of our whole life." - Saint Augustine of Hippo
- "Lord, help us to see in your Crucifixion and Resurrection an example of how to endure and seemingly to die in the agony and conflict of daily life so that we may live more fully and creatively." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta
Quotes About Lenten Fasting
Many people participate in some type of fast for Lent. For example, Roman Catholics over 14 years of age are asked to abstain from eating meat on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and all Fridays during Lent. The following quotes express the spirit of fasting.
- Lenten fasting feeds the soul.
- Fasting nourishes your faith.
- Prayerful fasting brings us closer to God.
- Fasting is but a small price to pay for the light of the Lamb of God.
- The practice of fasting represents a passion for the path of Christ.
- There's no better nourishment for the human soul than prayerful fasting.
- Fasting serves as a reminder of the bounty in our lives.
- A few days without meat is but a small inconvenience for a lifetime of salvation.
- "Fasting involves being freed from all that weighs us down - like consumerism or an excess of information, whether true or false - in order to open the doors of our hearts to the One who comes to us." - Pope Francis
Quotes About Giving Up Things for Lent
Fasting isn't the only element of sacrifice that's inherent to Lent. In the spirit of the solemn season, many people follow the tradition of giving up something for Lent as an exercise in self-control and mindfulness. The quotes below express how meaningful this small gesture can be.
- Reflect the nature of God through the spirit of your sacrifice.
- How better to remember the riches you possess than to give up a bit of what you have?
- But what did Jesus give up for our souls? Surely we can follow His path with a sacrifice for 40 days.
- You are more than what you have, you are more than what you do. Giving up something for Lent is just a gesture, but it can change everything for you.
- Committing to giving up something for 40 days can help you grow in your faith and motivate you to free yourself from potentially destructive habits.
- Giving up something for Lent is a small way you can demonstrate your willingness to set aside your personal desires in honor of the sacrifices of others who have gone before you.
- "Going without things does not consist only of giving away what we do not need; sometimes it also consists of giving away what we do need." - Pope John Paul II
- "Lent is a fitting time for self-denial; we would do well to ask ourselves what we can give up in order to help and enrich others by our own poverty." - Pope Francis
Lenten Wishes to Share With Others
Help inspire others to find deep meaning and spiritual growth during the season of Lent with these meaningful sayings. Share them with loved ones who walk with you on your faith journey.
- Reflect and grow stronger in this season of renewed faith.
- Give yourself over to Lent; your soul will be stronger as a result of your sacrifice and devotion.
- May you find cleansing and renewal in this season of sacrifice.
- Let Lent be your personal respite from material luxuries so you can focus on your walk in faith.
- May you find renewal for your spirit and an awakening of your faith this Lenten season.
- May the grace of the Holy Spirit rejuvenate your faith this Lenten season.
- May the small sacrifices of Lent prepare you for the bounty of Christ's love.
- May the empty tomb forever be a beacon that shines a light on your ever-growing faith.
Lent Quotes From the Bible
No collection of quotes for Lent would be complete without some taken directly from the Bible. It's only fitting that your Lenten reflections go beyond inspirational sayings to include the Word of God.
- "And the one who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.." - Matthew 10:38, New American Standard Bible (NASB)
- " All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again." - Ecclesiastes 3:20, King James Version (KJV)
- "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16, English Standard Version (ESV)
- "When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full." - Matthew 6:16, New International Version (NIV)
- "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." - Galatians 2:20, ESV
- "And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me." - Luke 9:23, KJV
Holy Lenten Expressions
Whether you're looking for sayings to use in Lenten services or you want to craft your own devotions to use when meditating, reflecting prayerfully, or engaging in other Lent activities, the quotes above may be helpful to you. Feel free to use them as-is, or use them as a springboard of inspiration to come up with your own sayings.