Baptism is a momentous occasion in a religious person's life. Celebrate the sacrament with a few beautiful baptism verses that help commemorate the special day and express your feelings about the religious rite of passage. Use these baptism verses in the ceremony itself and in other creative and expressive ways to enhance the memorable moment that is a person's baptism.
Popular Biblical Baptism Verses
The Bible has many verses on the subject of baptism. It is easy to include one with your baptism gift, invitation, or card. Here are some of the more popular baptism bible verses:
- Matthew 3: 16-17: And Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased."
- Acts 2: 38-39: Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ so that your sins may be forgiven; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you, for your children, and all who are far away, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to him."
- Matthew 28: 19-20: Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.
- Ephesians 4: 4-6: 4 There is one body and one Spirit; just as you were called to the one hope of your calling, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in all.
- Romans 6: 3-8: Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? Therefore we have been buried with him by baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have been united with him into a death like his, we will certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. We know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be destroyed, and we might no longer be enslaved to sin. For whoever had died is freed from sin. 8 But if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him."
- Galatians 3: 26-27: So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
- Titus 3: 5: He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.
- John 3: 5: Jesus answered, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
- Corinthians 12: 13: "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit."
Baptism Poems & Verses by Famous Poets
You can also find verses on baptism by famous classic and modern poets. These notable works would be a great addition to a baptism card, or a lovely addition to printed programs to pass out at the actual baptism ceremony. You can use an entire poem in some aspects of the baptism (such as a reading), and specific verses in other elements of the baptism, like including a favorite stanza at the bottom of an invitation.
Baptism Quotes to Complement Your Verses
Why not work in a few famous quotes on baptism along with your favorite baptismal verses? Use both verses and quotes to help illustrate the sentiments that surround the major event.
- "Baptism is the initial step of a faithful heart." - Max Lucado
- "The grace of being is gift of baptism by washing in water. And in spirit of Christ Jesus." - Layla Gifty Akita
- "In order to live a life of holiness, we must first receive new life from God - we must be born from above." - J. Vernon McGee
- "Baptism is faith in action." - Watchman Nee
- "God brings men into deep waters not to drown them, but to cleanse them." - John H. Aughey
- "Every child born into the world is a new thought of God, an ever fresh and radiant possibility." - Kate Douglas Wiggin
Ways to Use Baptism Verses in Your Experience
Baptism poems refer to the use of poetic language that portrays a message about baptism. Verses can be biblical scripture or poetry. There are many poetic verses from the Bible and famous poets that deal with a baptism theme, ranging from New Testament passages to the works of Isaac Watts. People can use baptism verses in pre-made cards, homemade cards, or baptism scrapbooks.
Ideas for Using Verses in Cards and Invitations
Including a verse in a baptism card or baptism invitation can add a special message in beautiful language. Here are some ideas for incorporating verses in cards and invitations:
- Create a bookmark containing your favorite baptismal verse and pair it with a decorative design. Insert the bookmark into a card when presenting it to the newly baptized or their family.
- Make a card and use the verse as the central message. A homemade card can also feature a special photo on the cover. For example, include a photo of the christened baby on the card cover.
- Write the verse on an origami design as a traditional card alternative.
- Create baptism invitations for guests who you hope will share in the special day. Use a verse or poem stanza in the invitation itself.
Ideas for Using Verses in Scrapbooks
If you are creating a baptism scrapbook, consider including verses about baptism. Verses can convey a message or augment a theme in a scrapbook.
- Write a verse in the frame of a photo on a scrapbook page so that it wraps around the image.
- Design a page and use the baptism poem as the main feature on the page. You can highlight the verse by writing the words in calligraphy on special paper and then gluing the paper onto a larger sheet of decorative background paper. Add embellishments such as stickers or stamps.
- Enhance a scrapbook page by adding an embellishment such as die-cut images that include verses. Each die-cut could consist of an entire verse, or several die-cuts could spell out the verse message.
Ways to Work Baptism Verses Into Ceremonies
The actual baptism ceremony will likely include a few chosen verses that help mark the occasion. You can select a few verses and ask your loved ones to read them aloud. You can also take your favorite verse and have it printed on a program you plan to pass out at the actual baptism.
Online Resources for Baptism Verses
The Internet is an excellent place to look for additional baptism verses and baptism poems. The following websites have more ideas:
- Heavens Inspirations: The Heavens Inspirations site has a baptism card verses page with short baptism poems written by the site owner, Michelle Lowndes.
- Famous Poets and Poems: The site provides baptism poems and verses by famous poets.
- Openbible.info: The site contains over 100 verses for baptisms.
- Biblereasons.com: The site contains 50 useful verses applicable to baptisms, all of which are broken into categories.
Use Baptismal Verses on Your Special Day
You can incorporate baptismal verses into various components of the special day. Use them in invitations, cards, programs, party decor, and the ceremony. Choose one that speaks to you, or several that hold personal meaning. These baptism verses help personalize the experience and color the day with heartfelt religious words.