Your baby girl's name sets the tone for your expectations as a parent and captures the spirit of your hopes and dreams for your little one. If you want your baby girl to start life empowered, German names are great options.
Popular and Common German Girl Names
German female names often include vowel sounds at the beginning and end of the name, making them appealing and pleasing to the ear. If you are searching for a cute German name that has proved to be popular among parents, these options are excellent picks.
- Adele - Means "noble kind"
- Ella - Means "fairy maiden"
- Emilia - Means "brave"
- Emma - Means "universal" or "whole"
- Frieda - Means "lady"
- Hanna - Means "grace"
- Ida - Means "industrious"
- Lea - Means "weary or tired" (Find more girl names that start with L)
- Lina - Means "tender"
- Lotta - Means "free woman" or "warrior." Makes a cute nickname for Charlotte!
- Luisa - Means "famous in war"
- Marie - Means "bitter" or "beloved"
- Matilda/Tilda - Originally spelled Mathilda in Old German, means "mighty in battle"
- Mia - Means "mine"
- Sophia - Means "woman of wisdom"
Strong German Female Names
The German language is full of strong baby boy and baby girl names. Choose a name and meaning rooted in strength and courage. What parent wouldn't want to cultivate a little warrior spirit in their daughter?
- Adalwolfa - Means "she-wolf"
- Albertyne - Means "intelligent"
- Alfonsine - Means "eager to battle"
- Bathilda - Means "warrior woman"
- Berdine - Means "glorious"
- Bernadine - Means "courage of a bear"
- Carla - Means "strong"
- Emery - Unisex name meaning "brave"
- Erika - Means "eternal ruler"
- Evonne - Means "archer"
- Geraldine- Means "rules by spear"
- Gerda - Means "enclosure or stronghold"
- Gerhardina - Means "mighty with a spear"
- Gertrude - Means "spear of strength"
- Griselde - Means "gray battle maiden"
- Gunnel - Means "battle maiden"
- Halfrid - Means "peaceful heroine"
- Helga - Means "prosperous and successful"
- Henrietta - Means "keeper of the hearth"
- Hilde - Means "battle maiden"
- Hilma - Means "resolute protector"
- Irmina - Means "war goddess"
- Isa - Means "strong-willed"
- Isolde - Means "ice ruler"
- Kikka - Means "mistress of all"
- Lorita - Means "honor or victory"
- Ursula - Means "little female bear"
Beautiful German Girl Names
If you want to embrace your German roots but would rather your baby girl have a sweeter and more feminine name, those below are great options. They are all stunning names with German origins, containing meanings guaranteed to make any parent smile.
- Ada - Means "noble, happy and adorned"
- Adal - Means" sweet and noble"
- Adalaide - Means "noble one"
- Adelheide - Means "sweet and noble"
- Adette - Means "sweet or noble"
- Agatha - Means "good and kind"
- Aili - Means "sweet"
- Alberta - Means "bright"
- Aliz - Means "sweet"
- Alvira - Means "fair"
- Antonie - Means "priceless"
- Berdina - Means "glorious"
- Bertrun - Means "shining secret"
- Clarissa - Means "bright"
- Eda - Means "wealthy and happy"
- Ediline - Means "gracious"
- Evi - Means "life"
- Gerda - Means "protected"
- Gisela - Means "pledge"
- Gratia - Means "grace"
- Gretchen - Means "little pearl"
- Gretel - Means "precious gem"
- Karlotta - Means "tiny and feminine"
- Juliane - Means "youthful"
- Winola - Means "charming and peaceful friend"
- Zemirah - Means "blessed and happy in life"
Old Traditional German Girl Names
All of these monikers have Old-German origins. They are lovely choices for parents who steer clear of the trendy names and opt for ones that have stood the test of time. Traditional German girl names are charming choices for babies.
- Heidi - Traditional name meaning "noble"
- Heike - Means "strong ruler"
- Helga- Means "blessed and holy"
- Ida - Means "work"
- Ingeborg - Means "stronghold or protection"
- Ingrid - Means "fair and sweet"
- Karin - Means "pure"
- Katherina - Means "pure"
- Luana - Means "graceful warrior"
- Millicent - Means "work strength"
- Olga - Means "blessed and holy"
- Waltraud - Means "strength"
- Zelda - Means "gray warrior"
Unique German Girl Names
Some parents are on the hunt for something with strong roots, but not often heard by the masses. These unique German baby names will help your daughter stand out in a crowd.
- Aaleigha - Means "high" or "to move up"
- Alary - Means "elf ruler"
- Aloisa - Means "famous warrior"
- Anjuta - Means "derived from Anjan"
- Crescentia - Means "to grow"
- Felice - Means "fortunate or happy"
Religious German Girl Names
Many parents want to honor their religious beliefs by gifting their child a name with spiritual connotations. These all have a nod to religion and spirituality.
- Krista - Means "a Christian"
- Liezel - Means "God is beautiful"
- Lisette - Means "devoted to God"
- Renate - Means "to be born again"
- Ilse - Means "pledged to God"
- Dorthea - Means "gift from God"
- Engelbertha - Means "bright angel"
- Elsa - Means "pledged to God"
- Wendlesora - Name of a Saint
So Many German Girl Names
Parents wanting to give their baby a German name are in luck because there are so many amazing monikers to choose from! From traditional to unique and strong to soft, there seems to be a German baby girl name for just about everyone. Look at meanings, listen to how names sound and be sure to consider nicknames and possible initials before deciding on "the one." Above all, enjoy the process of naming your baby because it is certainly an experience to be cherished.