Cinco de Mayo is an annual celebration that commemorates the Battle of Puebla. The holiday represents pride and resilience for many Mexicans, particularly those from the state of Puebla. If you would like to wish a friend a happy Cinco de Mayo in Spanish, you'll say "Feliz Cinco de Mayo." Use the pronunciation guide and other greetings to extend Cinco de Mayo wishes to your loved ones, both near and far.
How to Say "Happy Cinco de Mayo" in Spanish
"Happy Cinco de Mayo" in Spanish is "Feliz Cinco de Mayo." This is very similar to the English phrase, with the simple replacement of "Happy" with the Spanish word "Feliz." The way you pronounce this correctly is "feh-lees seeng-koh deh mah-yoh."
Another way to say "Happy Cinco de Mayo" in Spanish is by referring to it as the battle of Puebla. You can say, "Feliz Dia de la Batalla de Puebla," which means "Happy Day of the Battle of Puebla." This is pronounced as "feh-lees dee-yah deh lah bah-tah-ya deh pweh-blah."
Culturally Appropriate Cinco de Mayo Wishes
If you'd like to honor the traditions of Cinco de Mayo and extend wishes in a culturally appropriate way, these phrases fulfill both. Use them to wish others a very joyous fifth of May.
- Today isn't just a day to eat tacos; it's a day to celebrate Mexico's culture, courage, and pride. ¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo!
- May your Cinco de Mayo be filled with music, dancing, and celebration.
- ¡Viva Mexico! Feliz Cinco de Mayo, mis amigos.
- Wishing you a fun-filled fiesta on this Cinco de Mayo.
- Feliz Cinco de Mayo, mi familia.
- I support Mexican arts, Mexican businesses, and Mexican culture today and every day. ¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo!
- To my friends in Mexico, Feliz Cinco de Mayo!
- From my family to yours, we wish you a Happy Cinco de Mayo.
Fun Phrases to Use on Cinco de Mayo
Are you looking for a festive phrase to use as a Cinco de Mayo Instagram caption, on a flyer, or in a greeting card? These phrases are fun while still being respectful. Perfecto!
- Salud y Feliz Cinco de Mayo.
- I hope your day is as cool as an agua fresca. Feliz Cinco de Mayo.
- Fiesta like there's no mañana.
- There's no time to siesta this Cinco de Mayo; let's fiesta!
- In queso you didn't know, it's Cinco de Mayo. Celebremos!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
While Cinco de Mayo isn't a huge holiday in Mexico, it's celebrated widely across the United States. Embrace the festivities by reading about the Battle of Puebla, learning more about Mexican culture, and enjoying some authentic Mexican cuisine. ¡Feliz Cinco de Mayo!