When looking for a mystifying costume idea, don't overlook the concept of a dark angel, or fallen angel. Not all angels are cherubic and sweet. Before you put on your black wings and fly into the night, apply makeup in a manner that will help you channel this mysterious character.
Pop Culture Inspiration for Dark Angel Makeup
A dark or fallen angel is the opposite of the white-clad harp-playing image that the word angel often brings to mind. Dark angels aren't angelic in demeanor or appearance. They can still be demure, but are often gothic-looking and come across as at least a bit dangerous. There are some examples of dark angels in pop culture. For example:
- In the Dark Angel television series, a pouty-lipped Max Guevera (played by Jessica Alba) represented the seductive beauty of a dark angel.
- Lucifer Morningstar (played by Tom Ellis), the lead character of the television show Lucifer, is a fallen angel visiting earth in sexy human form. He occasionally reveals his devilish face and angel wings.
Dark Angel Makeup Application
A dark angel costume will be fun to wear at any Halloween or costume party. Dark angel makeup should be sultry, bronze, and smoky looking. When applying your dark angel makeup, think the opposite of traditional angels, which have light, innocent makeup.
- Cleanse and moisturize your skin before getting started.
- Dab concealer on blemishes and use a yellow concealer to cover dark circles around the eyes. Do not worry about blending the concealer since it will be covered by your foundation makeup. Allow your concealer to dry one minute before moving on.
- Stroke mineral powder foundation all over your face and neck using a powder or Kabuki brush. The mineral powder will give your skin a soft, velvety finish that looks touchable and earthy. Use makeup that matches your skin's natural tones.
- Apply bronzing powder to your face and neck. Sweep it on with a bronzing brush starting at the forehead and working down. Touch your forehead, chin, and the bridge of your nose with the brush. Blend the bronzer into your neck and, if you are wearing a low neckline, into the décolletage area.
- Brush your eyebrows up and shape them with a brow liner. There should be a pronounced arch in the center of the eyebrows. Do not tweeze your eyebrows the night of the party. Do any hair removal necessary a few days before you plan on applying your makeup.
- Apply a light gray eyeshadow under the brow bone. Use an eyeshadow brush to apply the makeup.
- Sweep on a mid-tone gray eyeshadow with your brush, making an arc in the eye crease.
- Dip an angled eyeshadow brush into a deep black eyeshadow. Use this color to accent the outer crease of your eye.
- Blend all three colors in smoothly with a soft brush.
- Apply fake eyelashes to your eyes by dotting glue on the base of the fake lashes. Press the fake lashes to your skin, not your lashes. Move them into place and let them dry.
- Line your lips with a nude lip color. Fill in the lips with dark burgundy or black lip stain.
Safety tip: Never try a new skincare product just before a social event. You do not want to experience a product allergy when you are trying to look your best.
Dark Angel Video Tutorial
Create a sultry dark angel look with an exaggerated smokey eye look paired with thick, black eyebrows and black lips. Use black cosmetics or body paint for body markings as well.
Gilded Dark Angel Instructions
If you want to enhance your dark angel look with a bit of otherworldly glow, opt for this technique. You're sure to stand out with streaks of gold on your face set off by golden lips.
Tips to Enhance Your Dark Angel Makeup
Take your angelic look to another level with the right makeup application and attitude. The tips below will help you get into character and set the right mood for your look.
- When wearing your dark angel look, get into your broody character as much as possible.
- Avoid smiling a lot by giving dark and soulful looks to the other partygoers.
- Accent a cool black-winged outfit with sexy shoes and accessories.
Dark Mysterious Beauty
When you decide to dress as a dark or fallen angel for Halloween, your makeup and costume are sure to be head-turners. People will be irresistibly drawn to your dark mysterious beauty, which is, of course, what being a dark angel is all about.