- 1 ounce gin
- 1 ounce rum
- 1 ounce tequila
- 1 ounce vodka
- 1 ounce blue curaçao (Also used in a walk me down drink)
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ounce Red Bull
- Lemon slice and cherry for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice, rum, tequila, vodka, blue curaçao, and lemon juice.
- Shake to chill.
- Strain into highball glass over fresh ice.
- Top off with Red Bull.
- Garnish with lemon slice and cherry.
Exploring Bullfrog Cocktail Variations
The bullfrog calls for such a long list of ingredients, meaning you can easily make a few modifications without changing it entirely.
- Use a coconut rum, tequila, or even vodka instead of a plain flavor for a sunnier-tasting bullfrog.
- Drop in a splash of grenadine with your liquor and blue curaçao to change the color without modifying the core of the drink.
- If there's a particular spirit you don't quite like, or it doesn't work for you, go ahead and skip that spirit and add in a little more lemon juice or balance it equally between the remaining ingredients.
- With so many flavors of Red Bull, you can easily modify the drink with a new flavor.
Bullfrog Drink Garnishes
Because the bullfrog is a sweet and boozy drink, it can handle any number of garnishes, from echoing the sweetness to offsetting it with a little heat quite well.
- Use a lime or orange instead of a lemon. Or use a citrus wheel or wedge instead of a slice.
- Pierce a pineapple chunk along with a cherry.
- Stack different fresh berries together on a cocktail skewer.
- Rub the rim of the glass with a lemon or lime wedge, and then dip the rim into tajin or another spice to add a little heat.
The Bullfrog Cocktail's Past
You're correct if you think that the bullfrog cocktail feels familiar. There's a whole family of boozy drinks! From the Mind Eraser to the Adios Mother, and from the classic Long Island Iced Tea to the blue Long Island Iced Tea, plenty of cocktails pack a boozy punch for any occasion or craving. The Blue Long Island shares many of the ingredients with bullfrog but uses lemonade instead of lemon juice and omits the Red Bull. After all, the energy drink float is where the bullfrog gets its splash.
Leaping Into a Bullfrog Mixed Drink
This drink will pack a punch, certainly much more than a splash caused by a bullfrog. When you're in the mood for something that isn't bull, turn to a bullfrog cocktail for the feeling that only this hard liquor cocktail can give.