When it comes to holiday comfort drinks, it's hard to resist the creamy, boozy, and oh-so-cozy eggnog. This cocktail brings a sense of jolly vibes, and it's a delicious dessert that you can also enjoy as a martini. The eggnog martini is a rich and festive cocktail with sweet, nutty, and spiced flavors that will have everyone dancing underneath the Christmas lights.
How to Make an Eggnog Martini
Today, you can make eggnog from scratch or conveniently purchase it at the store. Eggnog is served warm or cool, in mugs or glasses, or self-serve from a punch bowl.
- Caramel sauce and cinnamon sugar for rim
- 2 ounces eggnog
- 1 ounce almond liqueur
- 1 ounce vanilla vodka
- Cinnamon sugar for garnish
- Dip the rim of your martini glass or coupe on a saucer with caramel sauce.
- With the cinnamon sugar on a saucer, dip either half or the entire rim of the glass in the cinnamon sugar to coat.
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice, eggnog, almond liqueur, and vanilla vodka.
- Shake to chill.
- Strain into the prepared glass.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.
Eggnog variations have existed since the 1800s, but the drink has been around long before that. It is most likely derived from a British drink called posset, a creamy ale-like drink that monks drank during the Middle Ages.
Variations and Substitutions
The eggnog martini has room for experimentation and playing around. So long as only one ingredient is altered at a time, you'll always end up with a delicious eggnog martini.
- Add a dash of cinnamon simple syrup.
- Instead of almond liqueur, use hazelnut liqueur.
- Use caramel vodka for a sweeter taste.
- Use a hint of allspice dram for a spiced profile.
- Instead of vodka, use spiced rum or dark rum.
The garnish for an eggnog martini can be as crafty or simple as you wish. It all depends on the mood you want with your cocktail.
- Skip the caramel and cinnamon sugar rim if you don't want that much sweetness.
- Use a sprinkle of ground nutmeg.
- Char a cinnamon stick for a richer garnish.
- Add whipped cream.
- Swirl the inside of the glass with caramel.
An Eggnog Martini Perfect for Caroling
The eggnog martini is more than just another way to enjoy eggnog. It adds a new flair to a traditional favorite with a classy look. Next time the eggnog is being passed, impress everyone with this upgrade.