- 10 ounces cream of coconut
- 6 ounces pineapple juice
- 2 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
- In a large pitcher or bowl, add cream of coconut.
- Slowly add pineapple juice and lime juice, a little at a time, slowly whisking into the cream of coconut until fully combined.
- Store and refrigerate in sealed pitcher or containers.
- Makes roughly six servings of the mix.
Variations & Substitutions
Like the piña colada cocktail, there are options when building your own homemade piña colada mix.
- For a thinner mix, use coconut cream or milk instead of cream of coconut.
- To really up the coconut flavor but without thinning the mix too much, use equal parts cream of coconut with coconut milk.
- Use more or less pineapple juice based on personal preference.
- Add more lime juice for a tarter flavor or less if you want the pineapple and coconut flavors to shine more.
- Swap lemon in for lime if you want a brighter citrus flavor.
How to Mix It up With Alcohol
When the piña colada moment arrives, it's easy to put it all together. Using a ratio of about 3 to 2, use three ounces of the pre-made piña colada mix with two ounces of white rum. Add the mix to a cocktail shaker with ice and rum, shaking to mix and chill well. Pour the now boozy piña colada mix into a hurricane or highball glass over fresh ice, preferably crushed or cracked. Garnish with a pineapple wedge, or however, you like. It's your piña colada.
How to Store & How Long It Keeps
Keep your piña colada mix in an airtight container, whether that's a pitcher that seals or something as simple as a jar or plastic containers. The mix should absolutely be refrigerated and used up within approximately four to five days. If you have too much piña colada mix, you can cut the recipe in half to prevent spoiling and food waste.
The Lime, the Coconut, and the Mixing Glass
Using storebought piña colada mix isn't the end of the world, but the flavors might not always work out to be what you want. When you make your own, it's easy to make it pineapple forward or thicker than what you can find on a shelf. Cross it off your grocery list and add these three simple ingredients to make your own fresh piña colada mix.