- In a blender, add ice, white rum, coffee liqueur, banana liqueur, cream of coconut, and banana.
- Blend until smooth or desired consistency.
- Pour into cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a banana slice.
Variations and Substitutions for the Hummingbird Drink
Swap a few ingredients or even skip the blender when making your hummingbird cocktail.
- If pulling a blender out fills you with dread, skip the whole banana and use an extra half ounce of banana liqueur instead or even add a half ounce of banana simple syrup to a cocktail shaker, then shake before straining to serve in a cocktail glass over fresh ice.
- Swap your white rum for coconut rum instead.
- Not a fan of rum? No problem! Use tequila or vodka in its place for this drink.
- For a bigger coffee buzz, include up to an ounce of chilled coffee or espresso. Buzz, buzz, buzz!
Stick with a simple garnish or make it lavish and colorful using any of these ideas.
- Include a chunk of coconut for a tropical, fun look.
- Slip a pineapple leaf in for an added pop of color.
- Sprinkle crushed coconut overtop of the drink or make a rim with it!
- Give the drink a citrus flair with a citrus wheel, fresh or dehydrated.
A Look at the Hummingbird Drink
You may find yourself wondering why this drink is named for the hummingbird when it's neither tiny nor colorful, and that's because its name comes from a location: the Hummingbird Beach Resort. A popular beverage among travelers and beachgoers on the island of Saint Lucia, it's a drink that'll cool you down and have you feeling as fancy as a hummingbird.
A Creamy Treat That's Not for the Birds
This is one drink that's not for the birds, although don't forget to fill your hummingbird feeder. Whatever your reason for indulging in this creamy treat, this cocktail will certainly help you take flight. Maybe don't try flying upside down, though.