Tequila lends itself particularly well to summer drinks, but Jacques Bezuidenhout's recipes will hit the spot any time of the year. The master mixologist and Tequila Partida representative spills some tips for whipping up delicious tequila cocktails that go well beyond the standard fare.
Partida Summer Cup
A delicious mix of the classic Pimms cup, it'll please the pickiest of sippers.
- 1½ ounces Partida Blanco
- ¾ ounce Pimms
- ¼ ounce lime juice
- Ginger beer to top off
- Sliced cucumber, sliced strawberries, sliced orange, and mint sprig for garnish
- In a highball glass, add ice, Partida Blanco, Pimms, and lime juice.
- Stir to mix.
- Top off with ginger beer.
- Garnish with sliced cucumbers, strawberries, orange, and mint sprig.
A tasty spin on the margarita, this recipe makes it a great addition to brunch; it just might start making regular appearances.
- 1¾ ounces Partida Blanco Tequila
- ¾ ounce fresh lime juice
- ¾ ounce Cointreau
- ¼ ounce orange marmalade
- ¼ ounce equal parts Partida Agave nectar and water
- Orange slice for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice, Partida Blanco Tequila, lime juice, Cointreau, orange marmalade, and nectar.
- Shake to chill.
- Strain into rocks glass over fresh ice.
- Garnish with orange slice.
Paloma - Classic Cocktail
A refreshing and simple summer tequila recipe.
- 2 ounces Partida Reposado
- Squirt or another grapefruit soda
- Pinch of Salt
- Grapefruit wedge and lime wheel for garnish
- In a highball glass, add Partida Reposado, grapefruit soda, and salt.
- Stir to mix.
- Garnish with grapefruit wedge and lime wheel.
Taking on Tequila
Tequila is an easy spirit to play with. It has a well-balanced flavor profile of sugar, citrus, and earthy notes that blend well with a long list of ingredients. If tequila is a new spirit to you, Bezuidenhout recommends bringing home several mini bottles of tequila or going to a bar with a wide selection of tequila and slowly tasting and testing, looking for "a tequila that has lively agave notes with spice, character, and balance." But, he warns, beware of overly sweet tequilas. This means "they may have added sweetener to compensate for bad distillation." However, great tequilas will use agave to achieve the right notes of sweetness.
When thinking of tequila cocktails, Bezuidenhout suggests using "bright and fresh seasonal ingredients. As far as spirits go, I would choose blanco or reposado tequila." When you're considering what to mix, it's best to consider using locally sourced fresh ingredients, but he also supports having Cointreau, St. Germain Elderflower, or Canton Ginger Liqueur on hand. Using fresh ingredients also helps to cut down on sugar, so utilize fresh fruits to squeeze juices to make skinny cocktails.
Following the Rules
Being a versatile spirit, tequila can be used in classic cocktails or modern creations. Bezuidenhout points out, when you start mixing with tequila, you can go in many different directions, "depending on if you use blanco, reposado or añejo."
Continuing Tequila Education
Tequila is an incredible spirit that offers a neutral yet tasty palate with which to play. Consider playing around with the ratios in a margarita, or swapping tequila instead of gin in a Tom Collins. And if you get too nervous, you can always fall back on Bezuidenhout's tasty tequila cocktails.