If you like turkey and bacon, then you'll love a club sandwich. This double-decker sandwich is a favorite of sandwich lovers everywhere.
The club sandwich is really a celebration of different kinds of crunch. In fact, this sandwich is the one that should be called "Mister Crunch" because of all the crunchy, tasty ingredients.
The crunch comes from the three slices of toast, crispy bacon, and fresh lettuce that makes up the base of the sandwich. To add a nice contrast to all the crunch, there are the tangy tomatoes and the smokey turkey, the tender softness of which only accentuates the crunch of the rest of the sandwich.
This recipe makes one sandwich.
- 3 slices of toast, white or sourdough bread are best but you can use whatever bread you like
- 4 lettuce leaves, romaine or green leaf work best
- 4 slices of ripe tomato, like heirloom tomatoes
- 6 slices of crisp bacon
- 6 slices of turkey, thinly sliced
- 4 decorative toothpicks
- Place one slice of bread on your cutting board.
- Spread some of the mayonnaise thinly on the toast.
- Trim two of the lettuce leaves to fit the slice of bread.
- Place three slices of turkey on the lettuce.
- Place three slices of bacon on the turkey.
- Place two slices of tomato on the bacon.
- Spread some of the mayonnaise thinly on both sides of the next slice of toast.
- Place this piece of toast on the tomato.
- Repeat the order from the bottom layer.
- Only spread mayonnaise on one side of the top piece of toast and place that slice of toast mayonnaise side down on the sandwich.
- Cut the sandwich into quarters, cutting from corner to corner, so you end up with four little triangles.
- Place a toothpick in the center of each quarter.
It's easy to change up the sandwich to suit your taste.
- Flavor your mayonnaise with some pesto or garlic.
- Substitute ranch dressing for the mayonnaise.
- Substitute chicken for turkey.
- Add a little avocado for extra creaminess.
- Add some arugula in place of lettuce for a peppery bite.
- Change the lettuce for spicy sprouts.
Club Sandwich History
It is generally believed that the club sandwich was first put together in a gambling house in Saratoga Springs, New York, called the Saratoga Club House in 1894. Whether this is true or not, however, one thing is for certain. This is a classic that has withstood the test of time.