- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 cups of mini marshmallows or one 10 ounce package of regular marshmallows
- 6 cups of your favorite crispy rice cereal
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Spray a large saucepan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter or margarine in the saucepan over low heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add marshmallows and stir until all are completely melted.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the crispy rice cereal to the pan.
- Stir the mixture until the cereal is coated with the marshmallows and butter.
- Spray a spatula with nonstick cooking spray and press the mixture into a nonstick pan.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into two-inch squares.
You can use a microwave instead of your stovetop to melt the ingredients for this recipe.
- Use a microwave-safe bowl and heat butter and marshmallows for three minutes on high.
- Remove the bowl after two minutes to stir and place back into the microwave for the remaining minute.
Microwaves are all different, so be sure to keep an eye on your mixture and adjust the cooking time if needed. You will want your mixture to be smooth and melted throughout.
The classic crispy rice treats are always a hit, but consider adding a twist on the classic by incorporating one of the following ingredients:
- Cocoa or fruity-flavored crispy rice cereal instead of plain
- Flavored or colored marshmallows
- Peanut butter or chocolate chips
- Mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups or M&Ms
- Make Halloween Rice Krispies Treats.
You can also add food coloring in a color to reflect the season. For example, use red for Valentine's Day or green for St. Patrick's Day.
To add some pizzazz to your treats, after pressing your treats into a pan, add colored sprinkles to the top of each treat or drizzle melted chocolate over the top.
You can cut the treats into festive shapes such as wreaths or hearts instead of basic squares. If you use a metal cookie cutter sprayed with nonstick spray, you can achieve fantastic results with very little effort.
Crispy Rice Treats Are a Baker's Secret
Crispy rice treats are super versatile. Sure, they're yummy plain, but there's a ton you can do with them. You can use them to sculpt and cover them in fondant for cakes, dress them up for any holiday, or turn them out in all sorts of colors and flavors. Heck — my kiddo even used them for a school physics project. So with the right recipe, the sky's the limit to what you can do with them (and by that I mean if you made enough of them, you could make a staircase to the sky).