Vanilla Visa Gift Cards can be used both online and anywhere in the United States or the District of Columbia where Visa debit cards are accepted. These prepaid gift cards function like a debit card, giving you or the recipient immediate access to the allotted funds. When swiping your card at checkout, you have the option to select 'debit' and enter the unique PIN number on the back of the card or select 'credit' to make your purchase.
If you want to know more about this versatile payment option, we slide through all the Vanilla Gift Card details!
Vanilla Visa Gift Card Details
If you need a gift for an upcoming special occasion, the Vanilla Visa Gift Card is a good option. Here are the key details to know about this card:
Funds and Fees
Customers can purchase a Vanilla Gift Card with funds ranging from $10 to $500.
- Once the card is activated, no additional fees apply and the funds never expire.
- However, the card can expire after five years. In this case, you can contact Vanilla for a replacement to use your remaining funds.
- Per the cardholder agreement, activation costs are between $4.95 and $9.95, depending on the dollar value and number of cards activated.
- When purchased online, there is also a $2.95 to $5.95 purchase fee, along with additional shipping costs.
This type of gift card is a great option for people that are hard to buy for or when you're unsure of the right gift. You can personalize it by presenting it in a creative way or adding a special quote or saying to a store-bought card.
Returns and Losses
Vanilla Gift Cards can be returned, if you have the receipt. However, this only applies to the funds that have not been debited. The merchant that sold the card will handle the return.
- In the event your card is lost or stolen, you can contact customer care to request a replacement.
- Lost funds will not be replenished. However, if you call in a timely manner, they can close the gift card account to limit your losses.
- To receive your replacement, you must provide the card number and other personal identifying information, like your name and transaction history.
- If unauthorized transactions are made on your lost or stolen card, you must report it within 60 days, otherwise they will not be able to assist you.
Other Card Facts
- Vanilla Gift Cards can be used to pay with digital wallets. These include Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Google Pay.
- Cardholders cannot retrieve funds from this card via ATM or using the cash back option at the register.
- Vanilla Visa Gift Cards are not reloadable.
Vanilla Gift Cards can be used at gas stations, but it's recommended that you prepay with an attendant. The website notes that "some merchants authorize and hold the lesser of up to $175 or the full value of your Gift Card to ensure you have sufficient funds." This means that you need to check your balance if you choose to pay directly at the pump.
MyVanilla Prepaid Card
Customers also have the option of choosing the MyVanilla Prepaid Mastercard or Visa Card. These are money-management tools designed to be a plastic alternative to a traditional bank account.
Unlike other Vanilla products, these cards are customized with the holder's name and can be reloaded using Vanilla Direct Load or Walmart Rapid Reload. The maximum daily and monthly reload amounts are $2,500 and $5,000, respectively. Users can also get cash back just like with a regular debit card and your credit does not play a factor in signing up for the payment option.
The MyVanilla Prepaid Card is also accompanied with an array of benefits, including:
- ATM access: A $1.95 fee applies for domestic transactions. The fee is $4.95 for international transactions. If the card is declined, a $0.75 fee will be assessed.
- Card-to-card transfer: Funds can be transferred between Vanilla Visa products. This service is free online, but there will be a $4.95 fee when done over the phone with customer service.
- FDIC Insurance: The card's balance is insured through The Bancorp Bank, which is an FDIC member.
- Cash back at the point of sale: A $1.95 fee applies for over-the-counter cash back transactions.
- Text and email alerts: You can opt-in to receive text and email alerts about account updates.
- Direct deposit: If your employer offers direct deposit, you can have your paycheck sent directly to your card, free of charge.
- Mobile Wallet App Compatibility: The card can be added to your Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Google Pay, FitBit Pay, and Garmin Pay accounts
There is no monthly fee, but a dormancy fee of $3.95 will apply if the card is not used for a period spanning 90 days. In addition, a $0.95 fee applies to all signature and PIN purchases.
In the event your card is lost or stolen, a $6 replacement fee will be assessed. For a fee of $9.95, you can also elect to close the card, liquidate the balance, and receive a paper check in the mail.
Other Vanilla Gift Card Options
The OneVanilla Prepaid Visa Card is no longer in production, but it is still available at select retailers while supplies last. This has all the same features as the Vanilla Visa Gift Card — it is designed for everyday use and is not reloadable or customizable.
Managing Your Vanilla Visa Gift Cards
Here are a few additional things that customers need to know about their Vanilla Gift Card.
Activating Your Card
If you purchase your Vanilla Gift Card at a retail location, the cashier will be able to activate the card for you at the cash register. As mentioned earlier, an activation fee may apply.
When purchased online, you have the option to call 1-833-322-6760, or you can activate it on their website. Both options will require you to provide your gift card number, the valid through date (or expiration date), and the security code located on the back of your card.
(Note: MyVanilla Visa cards are also activated at the point of sale and are valid until you receive and activate your personalized product).
Checking the Balance
You have three options for obtaining your Vanilla Gift Card balance number:
- Over the phone by calling 1-833-322-6760 or 1-800-571-1376 (Vanilla Gift), 1-877-770-6408 (One Vanilla) or 1-855-686-9513 (MyVanilla)
- Using the mobile app (MyVanilla)
- Online by entering your card number, expiration date, and CVV code. (You'll need to sign into MyVanilla's online portal to perform this inquiry online.)
The Vanilla Gift Card check balance is free, no matter which option you use. However, if you have a MyVanilla Prepaid Card and choose to check your balance at the ATM, there will be a $1.00 fee per inquiry.
In the event you need additional assistance with your Vanilla Visa Gift Card, you can contact customer service. The type of help you need will determine which number you should call:
- If you have questions about your purchase, call 1-844-433-7898.
- Inquiries about Vanilla gift cards that have already been purchased can be addressed at 1-833-322-6760.
- For all other issues, reach out to their customer support team at 1-844-433-7898.
MyVanilla card holders can find help both over the phone and virtually:
- A customer service representative can be reached at 1-855-686-9513.
- You can also download the MyVanilla app directly to your smartphone to manage your account while on the go.
Where to Purchase Vanilla Gift Cards
Vanilla Gift Cards are available at thousands of retailers nationwide, including:
- CVS Pharmacy
- Rite Aid
- Sam's Club
- Dollar General
You can also purchase both Vanilla Gift Cards and Vanilla eGift Cards online! When you choose this option, you can customize the amount of money that you put on the card and your card design.
Read the Fine Print
Before making a purchase decision, be sure to select the type of card that best meets your needs. Read the fine print so you are informed about all the costs and limitations of Vanilla branded cards.