Compliments can feel amazing to receive, whether you're on a date, chatting over text, flirting on Instagram, or pretty much any other situation. Knowing how to respond to a compliment is key, though, because you want to send the right message. A fumbled response doesn't spell disaster, but it can make things awkward. Don't stress, though. You've got this.
Depending on your specific circumstances and how you feel in the moment, there are many options when it comes to responding to compliments. The perfect response to a flirty compliment from someone you like is one that shows you're charmed and interested without going too far.
How to Respond to Someone Calling You Cute
In person or online, it's kind of great when someone thinks you're cute or pretty. What you say in response is all about showing how the compliment makes you feel. Sharing your feelings like that can feel a little scary, but remember, this person is already complimenting you for being sweet or cute; they like you.
Make your response genuine and sweet by saying things like this:
- "Thanks - that's nice of you to say."
- "I appreciate you saying that."
- "That's nice to hear."
- "That's very sweet."
- "You actually just made my day amazing by saying that."
Responses That Compliment the Other Person Back
If you and your date or crush are hitting it off and you want to give a genuine compliment back, you can say this sort of thing:
- "Thanks so much, I really like how honest and upfront you are (or other personality trait)."
- "It's really refreshing to meet someone who has a similar sense of humor - I love how sarcastic you are."
- "It's so rare to meet such a kindhearted person - I'm grateful to be here with you."
- "We're both clearly in the complimenting mood because I think you're pretty incredible too."
- "I have to admit, I think you're kind of cute too."
Witty or Funny Compliment Responses
There are no rules that say your response has to be serious. If you receive a compliment and want to respond in a witty or sarcastic way, you can say things like this:
- "I don't think I heard you, mind repeating that?"
- "I think I'm in love with you."
- "Well, I won't argue with that."
- "Wow, keep em' coming."
- "And what else do you like about me?"
If you're shy or just generally feel uncomfortable receiving compliments, you can keep your response brief. As long as you sound sincere, you don't need to say a ton of stuff in response.
How to Respond to a Flirty Compliment Over Text
If you're texting with someone, they may give you a flirty compliment as a way to show you that they're interested in you and feel attracted to you. Texting is kind of a tricky situation when it comes to flirting because you can't see the person you're talking to. You can use that to your advantage by describing how the compliment makes you react. You can also use emojis to communicate non-verbals.
Responses That Flirt Back
To respond to a flirty compliment over text, you can say things like this:
- "Thanks so much. Even though you can't see it right not, I picked this outfit just for you."
- "You just made me smile."
- "I think you're really attractive too." <blushing emoji>
- "Thanks so much - I love how (insert another personality trait) you are too."
- "Thanks - you made my day."
- "Well thanks! If you could see me, you'd know I'm full on blushing!"
- "I so appreciate you saying that - that was so sweet of you!"
- "Thanks so much - I really like your (insert a personality trait)."
Flirty Responses to "How Are You?"
Sometimes, a compliment can come with a question about how you're doing. This is super sweet, but responding to a "how are you" text can feel a little tricky when you're also thanking someone for the compliment. These are some ways to do both:
- "You're so sweet! And I'm definitely better now."
- "It was a rough day until this moment, but you just made it better."
- "I'm good, but I'm definitely not as cute as you are."
- "Aww. Thank you. I'm having a great day thanks to you."
Cute Responses to Instagram Compliments or Online Flirting
Flirting on Instagram or basically any online platform involves a ton of complimenting. Whether they say something nice as a comment on your post, drop you a DM with a compliment in it, or actually say something flirty to you in a caption, how you respond has to do with where you want things to go. Just like with text, you can leave a shorter response and include an emoji too.
How to Reply to a Compliment in a Comment
Start with liking the person's comment or post, and then take it a step further with responses like these:
- "Thanks!" (insert heart emoji)
- "Aww, you're the sweetest!"
- "That means a lot coming from you."
- "Your opinion really matters to me, so I'm super happy right now."
- "Thank you - that was really sweet to say."
- "Wow, thanks so much."
What to Send in an Instagram DM
If you want to make your response a little more significant, a DM is a good plan. You should also plan to reply in a DM if someone has already sent you one. These responses can be a little longer than a simple comment, but they don't have to be:
- "Wow! That means so much, especially coming from someone as cute as you."
- "I totally admire you too, and it made my day to read this. Thank you!"
- "That's basically the sweetest DM I've gotten in forever. Thank you!"
- "When I saw your DM, my heart kind of skipped a beat. Then I read it and just about melted."
- "Your comment on my post made me blush. Just thought I should let you know."
How to Respond to a Compliment on a Dating App
If you're using Tinder or another dating app and someone gives you a compliment, there are different ways to respond on that platform, too. A few ideas of what you can say:
- "Aww, thanks so much."
- "Right back at ya."
- "You're so sweet!"
- "That's so nice of you to say!"
- "Look who's talking!"
- "Well, you're not bad yourself!"
Foolproof Tips for Responding to a Compliment
There are no hard and fast rules for responding to compliments, but there are a few tips to keep in mind.
- Say thanks: Thank you is an appropriate response no matter how flirty the compliment is; if you're stuck on what to say, you can't go wrong with a genuine thank you.
- Accept the compliment: Accepting compliments can be a challenge for many people because accepting praise can make you feel vulnerable. Try to just accept a compliment instead of deflecting the praise.
- Respond in a way that feels natural to you: The best response to a flirty compliment is often one that fits with your personality. If you're direct, a more direct response might feel more genuine. If you use a lot of humor, a funny response might fit the situation the best.
If the Compliment Makes You Feel Unsafe
Depending on the situation and the experiences you've been through, it's totally normal not to have a great reaction to receiving a compliment from certain people. If the person says something that makes you feel emotionally and/or physically unsafe (even if they say it was a compliment), know that you don't even need to respond and can exit the situation as safely as you possibly can. If there's a chance they misspoke and you don't feel physically threatened, you can say this:
- "Help me understand what you mean by that."
- "That comment made me feel uncomfortable. Is that what you meant to say?"
- "I don't tolerate being spoken to like that, and I'm going to leave. Don't contact me again."
Know that a "compliment" that aims to scare, intimidate, or threaten you is not a true compliment, even if the speaker says it was. Go with your gut, and if you feel unsafe, find a safe way to excuse yourself and leave.
How to Reply to a Compliment the Right Way for You
When you receive a compliment while on a date or online, go with your gut regarding your response. Know that you aren't obligated to give a compliment back or even respond if the compliment is inappropriate and threatens your physical and/or emotional wellbeing.
If you feel comfortable with how the compliment was relayed, you can take it as an opportunity to flirt a little bit and maybe even give your date a genuine compliment in return.