If you're hoping to designate godparents for your child, you might be wondering how to ask someone to be your child's godparent. There are many reverent or cute ways to ask, depending on your personality and the personality of the potential godparent. Look for a way to ask that will be meaningful and memorable to you all.
When to Ask Someone to Be a Godparent
There is no set age when godparents must be appointed, even for baptism purposes. Parents can ask someone to be a godparent before or after a child is born, as baptism occurs at different stages in life for different sects of Christianity.
- If your child will be baptized at three to five weeks-old, as is sometimes typical, ask the godparents as soon as you set the baptism date.
- Choose a time when both parents and the potential godparents can be together in a private setting.
- Select a time where you will not feel rushed in the moment, so everyone involved can savor the momentous request.
Godparent Proposal Etiquette Tips
No matter why you're choosing godparents, it's always a special and intimate request to make. When considering ideas regarding how to ask someone to be a godparent, keep the proposal formal by asking in person whenever possible. You can include things like cards, letters, or gifts to help you make your request, but it's best to be with the person when they find out you've chosen them. Asking face-to-face gives you both a chance to share the special moment and talk about what each of you feels are a godparent's responsibilities. Things to consider when you ask someone to be a godparent might include:
- Do include both of the godchild's parents in the request.
- Do be gracious and understanding if someone declines.
- Don't ask via text message, instant message, or email unless absolutely necessary. While these methods can end up being cute and clever ways to do so, they often feel too impersonal for this type of life event.
- Don't have someone else, such as a minister, ask on your behalf. The invitation should come directly from the parents of the godchild or the godchild themselves if they're old enough.
- Don't ask in a social media post. While this might feel like a contemporary way to ask someone to be a godparent, it can seem impersonal and puts the recipient on the spot publicly.
- Don't ask in front of a crowd of people who might feel offended or jealous that they weren't chosen.
Traditional Ways to Ask Someone to Be a Godparent
Families who are traditional and want their godparent proposal to feel genuine, heartfelt, and appropriate should choose to ask potential godparents in person. This face-to-face conversation shows your level of seriousness and sincerity. You can simply ask the person to be a godparent or present them with something written before they give you a verbal response. Written requests can be fun and creative ways to ask godparents to be a part of something truly special.
What to Write in a Godparent Proposal Card
You can find lots of great card options online and in stores, or you can make your own custom card that includes a picture of the godchild to go along with your request. If you use a card, there are a few things you should definitely include.
- A personal note or poem about why you want them to be your child's godparent. For example, "Our son needs to be surrounded by people who are strong and wise, yet gentle and understanding. One person we know who embodies all these traits is you."
- A brief statement about what being a godparent means to you. For example, "As John's godfather, we hope you'll share life lessons with him through letters and cards on special occasions."
- Information on how and when they can give their response. For example, "Please consider our humble request and give us a call when you have a reply. We'd appreciate your response by May 5th, before Jenny's baptism date."
What to Write in a Proposal Letter Asking Someone to Be a Godparent
If the potential godparent lives close to you, you can hand-deliver a godparent proposal letter. If not, you can mail it. When asking someone to be your child's godmother or godfather via letter, make it special by adding a few personal touches.
- Use elegant or custom stationery that looks regal.
- Handwrite the letter with a high-quality pen.
- Add a gold seal to the back of the envelope and choose a related stamp for the front if possible.
Poem to Ask Someone to Be a Godparent
A short and simple poem written in a letter or card or recited verbally, like the following, can convey all you need to say.
Will You Be My Godparent?
By Michele Meleen
Every child needs a community
to show them what life can be.
As parents, we will do our best
to ensure our child is blessed.
We know we can't do it alone
that's why we're asking the best person we've known.
Will you love and guide our child forever
as extended family called godmother/godfather?
A poem that comes directly from the heart is a beautiful way to ask family or friends to be godparents to your child.
Cute and Creative Ways to Ask Someone to Be a Godparent
If you'd like to infuse a little more of your own personality into your godparent request, look for fun ways to ask someone to be your godmother or godfather.
Design a Cinderella Godmother Pumpkin
Take inspiration from Cinderella's fairy godmother and make your request using a pumpkin and a cute phrase.
- Paint a small pumpkin silver or gold to make it look special.
- Add a note that's rolled up like a scroll and reads, "Please help turn our little pumpkin's life into a fairy tale. Will you be their godmother?"
- Deliver the pumpkin in person.
Make a Sleeping Beauty Godmother Garden
The Disney movie Sleeping Beauty features three fairy godmothers who care for Aurora throughout her life. Create a beautiful fairy-themed container garden to ask your child's potential godmother to fill the role.
- Start with a large plant pot.
- Use paint and letter stencils to write around the pot: "Will you give our child the gift of being his godmother?"
- Add one red, one green, and one blue plant to represent Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather, the fairies from the film.
- Add a couple fairy house decorative items to the cute craft.
Create a Godfather Contract
If you are looking for a catchy and cute idea to help you ask someone to be a godfather, use inspiration from the iconic Godfather movies.
- Write up a formal-looking contract on tea-stained paper to make it look old.
- Dress up as if you were going to court and take the contract to the potential godfather.
- Tell him, "We're going to make you an offer you can't refuse."
- After he reads it and accepts his position as your child's godfather, take him to a notary public to have the contract notarized.
- Frame the contract and give it to the godfather as a keepsake.
Whip Up a Harry Potter Godfather Wand
In the Harry Potter franchise, Sirius Black is Harry's godfather. Get inspired by this magical world and ask a potential godfather to do you the honors as a real wizard might do.
- Purchase or make a wand similar to those seen in the movies.
- Attach a small note that reads, "Accio! We have a Sirius question to ask. Will you cast Lumos over our child and light up their life as their godfather? We Expecto great things from this relationship!"
- Put the wand and attached note in a decorative long, thin box and deliver it in person.
Fun Godparent Proposal Ideas
Think about ways people propose marriage or even ask a date to a prom. You can do something similar to ask someone to be your child's godparent.
Recite a Godparent Proposal Poem
Recite a poem while on bended knee and holding a gift for the potential godparent. Asking someone to be a godparent via poetry is cute, personal, and authentic to both parties.
One Special Request
By Michele Meleen
I'm down on one knee
with an important question to ask.
I'm not asking for marriage,
but a far more important task.
Will you do my family the honor
of being our child's godmother/father?
Give a Godparent Proposal Gift
Offering a relevant gift with your proposal can help take the ask over the top. You can give the gift as part of your request or after the godparent accepts responsibility. Adorable godparent gift ideas include:
- Godparent survival kit - Fill a box with items the godparent might need or find humorous, such as a picture book about a fairy godmother, a set of fairy wings, and a wand.
- Godfather t-shirt - Purchase a licensed t-shirt from the movie that simply says "Godfather."
- Personalized candle - Place a large pillar candle in a glass jar and ask that the godparent light the candle whenever they think of their godchild.
- Custom stationery set - Put together a stationery set that is monogrammed with the godparent's initials and includes pens, stamps, and cards so they can correspond with their godchild and the family.
The Request of a Lifetime
Asking someone to be a godparent to your child is the request of a lifetime for all involved. Use your personality, creativity, and sincere words to make the request the most memorable that it can be. By utilizing any of these unique ways to ask someone to be a godparent, you're sure to get an emotional response.