Reading toxic family quotes can give you the confidence to end toxic family relationships. From toxic family members quotes to sayings about the frustration of dealing with a dysfunctional family, use the following quotes as mottos and mantras for moving on.
Quotes About Letting Go of Toxic Family Members
If you're cutting ties with a family member, letting go can make you feel guilty and lonely. Gain confidence in your decision with uplifting quotes about letting go, forgiving and moving on.
- You don't get to choose your family, but you do get to choose how they're allowed to treat you.
- Families are homes built on a foundation of trust and love. A toxic family can never be a home, because the foundation doesn't exist.
- Family is where you're meant to be most free. Don't let blood chain you down.
- When you walk away from a toxic family, you begin the journey of finding your true people.
- Every person is built like a computer, and the delete key is there for a reason.
- The black sheep blazes the trail for other family members to follow when they finally see the wolf.
- You may feel guilty for leaving your family behind, but you'll never regret moving yourself forward.
Family Frustration Quotes to Release Your Anger
When you have to deal with difficult family members, you need a way to release your anger. Relatable quotes can help you move past the frustration and even see some humor in the situation.
- I was born into this family and all I got was a bad attitude.
- I don't wish I was born in a different family; I wish I was born in a real family.
- If I have to endure one more holiday with my family, I might have to join the circus.
- These people were meant to raise me, instead I've had to raise them right out of my life.
- Giving birth doesn't make you a parent, me choosing to call you Mom (or Dad) does.
- Calling this a family doesn't make it a loving home, it just makes it a hateful lie.
Quotes About Saying No to a Toxic Family
Setting boundaries with toxic family members can be a serious challenge. Find the right words to say "No" to your toxic family.
- Saying "No" to a toxic family member shows that you understand what family truly means.
- You went through a "No" phase as a toddler as practice for when you needed to say it as an adult.
- You have the right to put up a fence between you and your family, and the choice whether to include a gate.
- If you can stand up to your family, you can stand up to anyone.
- When you say "No" to a toxic family, you say "Yes" to loving yourself.
- A good family will see your boundaries and move around them, a toxic family won't even realize they're there.
- Saying "No" to family doesn't make you a bad person, it makes you an honest person.
Quotes About Toxic Family Relationships
Quotes about bad family relatives can capture the specific feelings related to those family relationships.
- Parent-child relationships aren't created at birth, they're created in life.
- A dysfunctional family is not a family at all, it's a toxic relationship parading as a requirement.
- You didn't choose your family, but you can choose how to define family.
- Toxic family relationships spoil all other relationships, unless you remove the poison before it's too late.
- The term Brother (or Sister) means nothing more than what you define it as.
- You don't have to leave your whole family in the past, just those who don't deserve a place in your future.
- You are not part of a toxic family if you walk away.
Words to Help You Walk Away
Ending relationships with family members, even toxic people, is hard. If you've decided to walk away from a dysfunctional family or toxic family member, let encouraging words help you stay the course and stay strong. Just as quotes about keeping family together can provide support to healthy families, toxic family quotes can support members of dysfunctional families who need to disengage.