Giving a gift that celebrates the number of years you've been together is a perfect way to commemorate an anniversary year. Look for creative ways to incorporate traditional anniversary gift suggestions into your present.
First Anniversary: Paper
- A photo book featuring pictures from your first year together
- Origami hearts spread throughout the house with little love notes on them
- Hand lettering paper and calligraphy pens
Second Anniversary: Cotton
Cotton can be used to make a variety of goods. Select cotton gifts like:
- Egyptian cotton his and hers robes
- Organic cotton bed sheets in a new color or pattern
- A bouquet of coffee filter flowers (coffee filters are made with cotton)
Third Anniversary: Leather
If you don't want to give real leather, consider picking up something made from faux leather. A few items to give include:
- Leather jackets, like motorcycle jackets or even leather trench coats
- A designer purse made from leather
- Sporting goods, such as leather golf gloves, a leather football, or leather baseball
Fourth Anniversary: Fruit or Flowers
With the fourth anniversary represented by either fruit or flowers, you can't go wrong if you combine the two. Carve strawberries into roses or a cantaloupe into a flower and present your loved one with a platter of delicious fruits. Other ideas include:
Fifth Anniversary: Wood
Numerous goods and products are made from wood, so consider:
- Fun wooden board games you can play together, like cribbage or chess
- Building (or buying) a new wood deck, pergola, or patio swing to spruce up the home
- A personalized wood slice coaster set
Sixth Anniversary: Candy or Iron
Since the sixth anniversary can reference either candy or iron, once again, combining the two is a great idea. For example, you might get:
- A candy dish with an iron scoop
- The Iron Throne (from Game of Thrones) made out of fondant and/or candy melts
- A wrought iron candle holder plus a candle with a sweet scent
Seventh Anniversary: Wool or Copper
Wool and copper evoke steadfast feelings. Ideas for gifts include:
- A copper mule mug with monogram
- A wool coat for cold winter days and nights
- A copper-colored wool blanket
Eighth Anniversary: Bronze or Pottery
For the eighth anniversary, you have a few different options that will look lovely as home décor.
Ninth Anniversary: Pottery or Willow
The ninth anniversary is represented by pottery or willow. The obvious gifts are, of course, a willow tree and pottery itself, but think beyond the obvious. Instead, give:
- A gift certificate to a pottery class
- Willow twig furniture, such as a rocking chair or patio set
- A tattoo of a willow tree on an arm or back
Tenth Anniversary: Tin or Aluminum
Pick out something shiny for celebrating a 10th anniversary.
Eleventh Anniversary: Steel
Steel might seem like an odd choice for an anniversary gift, but you can certainly find inspiration. For example:
Twelfth Anniversary: Silk or Linen
Silk and linen are lovely textiles for bedding. However, you can go beyond this and really think outside the box to come up with great fits for this special anniversary.
- If your home needs an upgrade, consider painting a room with a satin paint finish.
- A man's linen suit can be indicative of a trip to some place warm and tropical where he'd need to wear this airy option.
- Look for new a new tablecloth and matching linen napkins for your dining room.
Thirteenth Anniversary: Lace
Lace is the ultimate romantic material. Pick up a gift that evokes those loving feelings like:
- Gorgeous lace lingerie for your partner
- Pillows or a table runner out of similar lace used in the bride's gown
- A lace doily with your (or the couple's) monogram and framed using their wedding colors for the background mat
Fourteenth Anniversary: Ivory
Objects made from ivory are banned. However, you can still find antiques, like antique figurines, that are made of ivory. If antique hunting isn't your cup of tea, consider these related ideas:
- Purchase a grand piano so you can both "tickle the ivories."
- Make a charitable donation to a nonprofit organization that benefits elephant habitats.
- Look for a collectible poster featuring Paul McCartney or Stevie Wonder of Ebony and Ivory fame.
Fifteenth Anniversary: Crystal
Crystal figurines are a great way to celebrate a 15th anniversary, but consider going a little beyond this common gift. Instead:
Twentieth Anniversary: China
The 20th anniversary is a milestone you shouldn't ignore.
- Mark this anniversary by upgrading all of your current dishes to fine china options.
- If you enjoy traveling abroad, consider traveling to China to see Hong Kong, the Great Wall, and other famous destinations.
- A Christmas ornament made of fine china that marks the date and anniversary year.
Twenty-Fifth Anniversary: Silver
Silver can mean a number of things. While silver jewelry is probably one of the most appreciated gifts for this anniversary year, you could also think outside the box.
- Give a set of silver coins from the U.S. mint as a keepsake.
- Consider your budget and if you have the money (and/or need!), purchase a new car, truck, or SUV painted silver.
- Pick up an affordable sterling silver anniversary band set to commemorate the date.
Thirtieth Anniversary: Pearl
A classic strand of pearls is a traditional gift for this anniversary. But, you can also give:
- Gift certificates to an upscale seafood restaurant (since oysters produce pearls)
- A trip to Hawaii to visit the famous Pearl Harbor memorial
- A few Pearl Jam albums if you both love rock music
Thirty-Fifth Anniversary: Coral
Gifts that evoke coral and the sea are perfect for a 35th anniversary. Select:
- Coral cufflinks to wear with a summer suit
- Coral bells to plant in the yard in remembrance of the anniversary and wedding day
- Scuba diving lessons with the thought of seeing coral reefs someday
Fortieth Anniversary: Ruby
A ruby gemstone is a striking piece of jewelry, but you can give something else for the 40th anniversary.
Forty-Fifth Anniversary: Sapphire
Sapphire jewelry, whether it's a bracelet or a ring, is a no-fail option. However, you could also consider:
Fiftieth Anniversary: Gold
The golden anniversary is truly a time to celebrate.
Fifty-Fifth Anniversary: Emerald
Emeralds are gorgeous green gems, but you can always go beyond them when giving a gift for the 55th anniversary. Consider:
- A trip to Ireland, also known as the Emerald Isle
- Membership to the country club so the couple can always play on the greens
- A set of wind chimes with (faux) emerald gemstones
Sixtieth Anniversary: Diamond
The diamond anniversary is the 60th, so be sure to give something that makes note of this anniversary gift. Buying diamonds isn't necessarily in everyone's budget, so consider:
- A copy of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, where Marilyn Monroe famously sings "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend"
- An anniversary party featuring ice sculptures in the shape of diamonds
- A copy of Neil Diamond's greatest hits
Celebrate Your Shared Years Together
It doesn't matter whether you (or the couple) have been together one year, 15 years, or 50 years. An anniversary gift, big or small, that is a token of your affection is sure to brighten up the celebration.