So the thing with this drink is this: it tastes way better than the name sounds. There's nothing sandy or bloody about this smooth scotch drink. The blood and sand cocktail is a delish sipper we know you're going to love.
How to Make a Blood & Sand Cocktail
Slightly sweet, slightly smoky, and a whole lot of smooth. That's how we'd describe this cocktail. It's the perfect balance of flavors.
- ¾ ounce scotch
- ¾ ounce cherry brandy liqueur
- ¾ ounce sweet vermouth
- ¾ ounce freshly squeezed orange juice
- Orange peel for garnish
- Chill a martini glass or coupe.
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice, scotch, cherry brandy liqueur, sweet vermouth, and orange juice.
- Shake to chill.
- Strain into the chilled glass.
- Garnish with an orange peel.
Variations and Substitutions
There aren't many changes you can make to the blood and sand cocktail without altering it entirely, but that doesn't mean you're without options.
- Experiment with proportions, using a little less orange juice, a little more sweet vermouth, a little more cherry brandy liqueur, and less orange juice.
- Opt for a full ounce of each ingredient and enjoy it on the rocks.
- Try out different styles of scotch to see which one you prefer best in this classic drink.
The traditional garnish with the blood and sand is a peeled orange. However, you can easily deviate from the traditional one without losing the drink.
- Float an orange wheel atop the drink or place it on the side. You can also place an orange wedge or slice.
- Give your cocktail a new look with a dehydrated citrus wheel, using an orange, lemon, lime, or grapefruit.
- Instead of an orange peel, use an orange ribbon. You can also substitute a lemon peel or ribbon.
- A cocktail cherry makes an excellent garnish. You can use this on its own or pair it with a citrus garnish.
A Vintage Glimmer
The blood and sand may not be as popular as its other classic red cocktail counterparts, but it is certainly no slouch and isn't a drink you should count out. This drink is for anyone, not just those seeking scotch, and its sweet flavors make it easily accessible to those who enjoy a well-balanced cocktail.