Variations and Substitutions
There's more than one way to shake up a strawberry daiquiri, so don't stress if you need to swap a few ingredients.
- Use strawberry rum in place of light rum, instead of strawberry liqueur, or in addition to the strawberry liqueur for a bigger strawberry flavor.
- Muddle strawberries with a splash of lime juice for a fresh strawberry taste.
- Add additional lime juice for a slightly tarter and less sweet daiquiri.
You may hesitant to reinvent the lime wheel garnish, but think of all the possibilities!
- In place of a lime wheel, consider a lime wedge or lime slice.
- Think outside the lime, using a lime peel or lime ribbon.
- Add a dehydrated lime wheel for an opulent touch.
- Include a strawberry--either whole, a single slice, or fan out several slices.
- Dehydrated strawberries pierced on their own or with fresh strawberries on a skewer gives new life to a classic strawberry daiquiri.
About the Strawberry Daiquiri
The classic daiquiri has been swirling in glasses since the early 1900s, and strawberry daiquiris weren't far behind. From the family of cocktails called sours, the classic strawberry daiquiri skips the blender in favor of a cocktail shaker to serve this drink up in a traditional way.
The strawberry daiquiri's reputation took a hit in the 80s and 90s when quick and EZ-serve cocktails along with pre-made mixers were all the rage. Sugary mixers created overly cloying drinks, and strawberry daiquiris were often sticky sweet and lacking in fresh, natural strawberry flavor. So if you've had those strawberry daiquiris before, set aside your preconceptions for the freshly made version.
Thanks to the rise of the home bartender and restaurants themselves returning to scratch-made ingredients, the strawberry daiquiri is typically made without the sugary mixes. Whether the ingredient is a housemade strawberry simple syrup, a muddled strawberry or two, or infused rum, the strawberry daiquiri is making a comeback.
Cheery Strawberry Daiquiri
When you're in search of a tart yet juicy cocktail, the strawberry daiquiri delivers. With its notes of lime and juicy strawberry, look no further to satisfy your craving.