Why chase the ice cream truck when you can make your own ice cream sandwiches at home? They're a lot easier to put together than you might think, and you get to create your perfect flavor combo with your favorite ingredients, fillings, and toppings. You can make any ice cream sandwich combination you like, but these ideas might give you some yummy inspiration.
Classic Ice Cream Sandwich Ideas
The ice cream sandwich itself is a truly classic treat. But some flavor combinations are always a hit and for good reason. Give these classics a try for your first attempt at making a homemade ice cream sandwich.
- Classic Cookies & Cream: Oreo sandwich cookies with cookies and cream ice cream in between. Add crushed Oreos for extra fun.
- Simple & Sweet: Funfetti cookies with birthday cake ice cream. Don't forget the sprinkles!
- Chocolate Chip & Vanilla: Chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice cream. Roll the edges in mini chocolate chips for a tasty texture.
- Sugar & Vanilla: Sugar cookies with vanilla ice cream.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter: Brownies with peanut butter ice cream. A few crunchy peanuts on the edges give it an extra special crunch.
- Mint Chocolate Chip: Chocolate chip cookies with mint ice cream. Crushed Andes mints add a refreshing crunch.
- Chocolate-Covered Elvis: Peanut butter cookies with banana ice cream. Dip half of the sandwich in melted chocolate and add crunchy peanuts if you like.
- S'mores: Graham crackers with chocolate ice cream rolled in mini marshmallows.
- Dark Chocolate Matcha: Dark chocolate chip cookies with matcha ice cream and dark chocolate shavings.
Decadent Ice Cream Sandwich Ideas
If you're going through all the trouble of making your own ice cream sandwich, you may as well take it to the next level. If you're in the mood for a decadent treat, these combos should have your sweet tooth satisfied in no time.
- Spiced Up: Snickerdoodle cookies with pumpkin spice ice cream and an extra sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Raw Decadence: Sandwich vanilla ice cream between two pieces of edible cookie dough. Drizzle with chocolate syrup.
- Red & White: Red velvet cookies with white chocolate ice cream and red velvet crumbles.
- Coffee & Donuts: Glazed donuts with coffee ice cream and a swirl of whipped cream.
- Red Velvet Cheesecake: Red velvet Oreo cookies with cheesecake ice cream and dark chocolate shavings.
- Chocolate-Covered Strawberry: Brownies with strawberry ice cream, rolled in freeze-dried strawberries.
- Caramel Everything: Browned butter cookies with salted caramel ice cream. Top with a drizzle of caramel sauce.
- Go Nuts: White chocolate macadamia cookies with butter pecan ice cream.
- Rocky Road S'mores: Graham crackers filled with Rocky Road ice cream and marshmallow cream.
- Almond Joy: Coconut macaroons with almond ice cream, rolled in slivered almonds and coated in dark chocolate.
- Cookie Monster: Monster cookies with chocolate ice cream and topped with M&M candies.
- Taste the Rainbow: Sugar cookies with rainbow sherbert. Roll in rainbow sprinkles for a colorful treat.
- Banana Pudding: Nilla Wafers with banana ice cream. Roll in slivered almonds.
- Strawberry Lemonade: Lemon bars with strawberry sherbert. Top with Skittles.
- Death By Chocolate: Brownies with dark chocolate ice cream and coated in melted chocolate.
- Dirty Cake: Oreo sandwich cookies with cookies and cream ice cream, stuffed with gummy worms.
- Tennessee Toffee: Pecan Sandies with Tennessee whiskey ice cream, rolled in crushed toffee.
- Red & Green: Pistachio shortbread cookies with cherry ice cream, rolled in mini dark chocolate chips.
- PB&J: Peanut butter cookies with grape sherbert and a dollop of fresh grape jelly.
- The Dark Side: Blueberry oatmeal cookies with pomegranate sherbert and dark chocolate drizzle.
- Peanut Butter Lovers: Peanut butter cookies with peanut butter and chocolate ice cream, rolled in mini peanut butter cups or Reeses Pieces.
- Neopolitan: Strawberry Pop Tarts with vanilla ice cream and chocolate chips.
- Carrot Cake: Carrot cake slices or snickerdoodle cookies with cheesecake ice cream and fresh carrot shavings.
You can use cookie cutters to make sure your outer sandwich element is the shape you prefer.
Unusual Ice Cream Sandwich Ideas
When your sweet tooth hits around the same time as your need for adventure, only the most unexpected ice cream sandwich will do. Give these unusual but surprisingly delicious ideas a try.
- Dairy-Free Paradise: Lime crinkle cookies with dairy-free coconut ice cream, rolled in coconut shavings.
- Sweet & Salty Breakfast: Buttermilk waffles with maple ice cream and crumbled bacon.
- Sugar, Spice, & Everything Nice: Gingersnaps with lemon ice cream. Add white chocolate shavings for texture.
- Drunken Raisin: Oatmeal cookies with rum raisin ice cream. Dip half of the sandwich in melted white chocolate for added sweetness.
- Chocolate Covered Orange: Chocolate graham crackers with orange sorbet. Top with dark chocolate shavings.
- Lemon Blueberry: Lemon cookies with blueberry ice cream and candied lemon peel.
- Tea Time: Shortbread cookies with Earl Grey ice cream. Add raspberry jam for a tea-party-ready sandwich.
- The Tropics: Coconut macaroons with mango sherbert. Add a drizzle of dark chocolate.
- Twisted Spumoni: Dark chocolate brownies with raspberry sorbet, rolled in crushed pistachios.
- The Best Part of Thanksgiving: Toasted sweet potato slices with marshmallow ice cream and a dark chocolate coating.
- Southern Creamery: Cornbread with vanilla ice cream and a generous drizzle of honey.
- Olive Oil & Lemon: Olive oil cookies with lemon ice cream. Top with fresh rosemary.
- French Toast Elvis: French toast banana bread with peanut butter ice cream and fresh banana slices.
- Caramel Corn: Butter cookies with caramel ice cream, rolled in popcorn.
- Muffin Top: Blueberry muffin tops with lemon ice cream. Add fresh blueberries for extra flavor.
- Sweet & Salty Peach: : Shortbread cookie with peach ice cream. Roll in candied bacon.
- Cheddar Chocolate: Blondies with cheddar cheese ice cream. Roll in mini white chocolate chips.
- Grandma's Kitchen: Ritz Crackers with pineapple sorbet and rolled in shredded cheddar cheese.
- Wasabidoodle: Snickerdoodles with vanilla ice cream. Roll in crushed wasabi peas and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Espresso White Cheddar: Browned butter cookies with espresso ice cream and shredded white cheddar cheese.
- Hot Chocolate: Chocolate chip cookies with white chocolate ice cream, sprinkled with cayenne pepper.
- Spicy Mango: Shortbread cookies with mango sorbet and a drizzle of hot sauce.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie: Puff pastry with strawberry ice cream and a dollop of rhubarb preserves.
- Pumpkin Basil: Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies with butter pecan ice cream and fresh basil.
- Lavender & Honey: Shortbread cookies with lavender ice cream and honey drizzle.
- Sweet & Savory: Honey graham crackers with olive oil gelato and fresh rosemary.
- Sweet Sesame: Tahini cookies with green tea ice cream, rolled in toasted sesame seeds.
- Thai Spice: Ginger molasses cookies with peanut butter ice cream and a drizzle of hot sauce.
There is no wrong way to eat an ice cream sammie. If you don't love the sensation of biting into your sandwich, toss it in a bowl and enjoy it your way.
Skip the Truck & Have Fun
No more waiting around for the ice cream truck or scanning the frozen section for something fun. You have everything you need to craft a unique ice cream sandwich with all the flavors you love. From the sweet to the salty and even some spice, you'll be screaming with joy for these ice cream sammies.