- 2 pounds of boneless beef steak, cubed
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces of whole mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients (except broccoli) in slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover, and heat on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Add broccoli to crock 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
Carbohydrates: 5 grams (based on original recipe and ingredient list)
You can vary this recipe, without adding additional carbohydrates, by using the following substitutions:
- Substitute chicken and chicken broth for beef and beef broth.
- Replace mushrooms with bell peppers or cauliflower.
- Use olive or canola oil in place of sesame oil.
- Replace soy sauce with 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce plus 1 tablespoon of water.
- Top with sesame seeds.
- Steam broccoli separately; then add to stew right before serving.
While carbohydrates are important essential nutrients, going low-carb can be an effective weight loss strategy -- especially when combined with high-protein foods like beef.