Mixed with thick cubes of beef, a handful of veggies, and lots of seasonings, our savory beef stew is the only warm blanket your belly will need during the winter months. Ready to knock out meal prep for the week in a single go? Give this slow cooker beef stew recipe a try.
Savory Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
Slow cooker beef stew is the perfect dish for someone dipping their toes into the culinary arts. Transform your marbled roast and raw veggies into a dish you'll want to eat for days on end. This recipe makes 8 servings and can be stored for up to three days in the fridge or three months in the freezer.
- 6 slices bacon, cut into pieces
- 2 pounds beef shoulder roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 8 baby red potatoes, quartered
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (16-ounce) can of Guinness beer
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, brown the bacon until it's cooked and crumbly. Transfer the bacon to the slow cooker with a slotted spoon.
- Remove all but two tablespoons of the bacon fat from the sauté pan and return it to the stove over medium-high heat. Liberally season the beef pieces with salt and black pepper and add to the pan.
- Cook the beef in the bacon fat until it is well browned on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the beef to the slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Add the onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic cloves, and dried thyme to the slow cooker.
- Return the sauté pan to the stovetop on medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add the beer and red wine vinegar, using your spoon to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer, and then pour all the liquid in the pan into the slow cooker. Stir all the ingredients to combine.
- Turn the slow cooker on to low. Cover and cook for ten hours.
- Remove the lid from the slow cooker. Stir in the parsley just before serving. Serve with buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
When shopping for a roast, look for one with a lot of marbling. Those fat lines in the meat will enrich the stew's flavor and leave you with mouth-watering leftovers.
Pantry Staples to Throw In
Sometimes, you want a little more than meat and potatoes. Thankfully, your pantry's a few steps away! Toss these staple ingredients in your slow cooker to make a heartier stew.
- Green onion
- Green peas
- Bell peppers
5 Things to Do With Leftover Beef Stew
If you have beef stew leftovers, you can easily turn them into these different dishes.
Tackle Meal Prep With a Slow Cooker Beef Stew
On those rare mornings when you wake up exhausted, the idea of skipping dinner seems more and more appealing. Fortunately, our slow cooker beef stew is here to save the day. Treat yourself to a hearty bowl (or two) — you've earned it!