Ending a relationship is never easy, and you may have a lot running through your mind. If you're planning on sending a long breakup text but aren't sure where to start, it can be helpful to take a look at some examples that you can use as template.
Long Breakup Text
Sometimes a short text isn't enough to convey what you want to say. Sending a long breakup text offers you enough space to say what you need to say and end the relationship with a fuller explanation for the text recipient.
Break Up Text Long-Term Relationship
Break up text examples for long-term relationships:
- I wanted to reach out and let you know what's been on mind lately. While our relationship has been incredibly special and meaningful to me thus far, I am realizing more and more that we both want different things out of life. Despite nothing truly being wrong within our relationship, I think it would be best to part ways, so we both have the opportunity to go after our individual goals.
- I want to be completely honest with you. While I have enjoyed our relationship, I don't see us working out in the future. Something within me has changed, and my needs have shifted. I will forever cherish the memories we've shared, and I'd love to remain friends if you're open to it. I'm here if you have any questions or want to talk at any time.
- I feel awful doing this over text, but felt this was the best way for me to get my thoughts out as clearly as possible. Being with you has been filled with incredible highs and some painful lows, but we've always managed to make it work. Lately, I've been feeling like we've just been off. I'm not sure if you're feeling it too, but I've reached a point where I'm feeling like we're no longer the best fit for each other. As much as I hate to end our relationship, I feel, at this point, that it's the right thing to do. If you want to meet up and speak in person, I'm happy to do so at any point.
Best Breakup Texts to Send
Some solid options for break up texts:
- I know we've always been completely honest with each other, so I thought I should reach out and tell you how I've been feeling. I so admire and respect your ambition, but I feel like our relationship has been put on the back-burner. I don't think this is anyone's fault, just think we have different relationship styles. I want you to be able to pursue your dreams, so I think it's best if we end our relationship.
- Even though we've had a pretty incredible relationship thus far, I know that this is no longer the best relationship for me at this point in my life. I need to trust my instincts and figure out what it is that I want out of a relationship, and I think it's best if I do that on my own.
Serious Break Up Texts Copy and Paste
Serious break up text examples:
- As difficult as this is for me to say, I have to admit that I've been oscillating between giving our relationship another chance and breaking things off with you. After some careful thought, I truly feel it's best that we part ways. While I have enjoyed our time together, I just don't feel like this relationship is fulfilling all of my needs at this point. I hope you understand that it was never my intention to hurt you, and I wish you nothing but the best in your life.
- Our relationship has been such an important aspect of my life for so long that I feel like I've forgotten how to just be me. While I'm beyond grateful for the beautiful memories that we've shared together, I think it's really important for me to be alone at this point in my life. Please understand that this is not about anything that you did or didn't do- you truly are such a wonderful person and have been an incredible partner. I'm so sorry to have to do this, but I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
Ending a Casual Relationship by Text
If you want to end a casual relationship via text, you can say:
- I've had a great time getting to know you and can certainly say that we've had a lot of fun together. I want to be honest with you and let you know that I'm looking for a more serious relationship going forward and feel it's best if we break things off. I'm so appreciative of our time together and wish you nothing but the best.
- I am so grateful for the time we've spent together, and I've loved getting to know you; however, I no longer feel that this is the best relationship for me to be in at this time. I will remember the wonderful times we've spent together, and I truly feel lucky that our paths crossed.
Polite Breakup Texts
If you're hoping to ensure that your breakup text is as polite as possible, you can say:
- The last thing I'd ever want to do is hurt you, but I feel it's best to be upfront with you. While I have loved dating you, I just don't see us working out. It's nothing you or I did, I just don't see our goals aligning in the future and feel it's best to end things sooner than later. I'm here to talk if you have any questions and truly hope you understand where I'm coming from.
- You are truly one of the most incredible partners I have ever had, but I'm no longer feeling like this is the best relationship for me. I feel like we've done what we can to improve our relationship, but we may just not be the best fit for each other. I truly appreciate all the special memories we've shared and wish you nothing but the best in your life.
Breakup Text When It Feels More Like a Friendship
After getting to know someone, you may find that you think of them as more of a friend than a partner. Texts you can send to end the relationship include:
- I wanted to connect with you and let you know that I've been thinking about our relationship and have realized that I'm beginning to see us more like friends. I really like you and truly wish I felt that spark, but I have to be honest with myself and with you. I'd love to remain friends if you are open to it. I'll give you your space until you're ready to talk. I hope you understand.
- I've been thinking about this for some time, and despite my efforts to make our relationship work, I can't seem to shake the feeling that we feel more like friends than romantic partners. I've been dreading telling you this as the last thing I'd ever want to do is hurt you, but I didn't feel right not saying anything. I want you to know I think you are incredible. I wish you all the best and know you're going to find someone who is just as amazing as you are.
Breakup Text When the Date Was Boring
Sometimes dates just don't work out and are completely uninteresting. The chemistry may be missing and you may just not have clicked. If your date was boring, you can text:
- I wanted to check in and let you know that I enjoyed getting to know you a bit better on our date. While I think you're a great person, I just don't feel like our personalities were the best fit for each other. I wish you all the best.
- I wanted to thank you again for the date the other day. I really liked hearing about your interests and upbringing. Despite enjoying our time together, I just don't feel like we had a spark, and that's something that's really important to me. I wish you well on your future dating endeavors.
Breakup Text if They Were Rude or Inappropriate
If you want to break it off with someone who was rude or inappropriate, you may consider texting:
- Reaching out to let you know that how you treated me on our date was completely inappropriate. I'm letting you know this in hopes that you won't treat your next date in the same manner.
- I wanted to let you know the comments you made regarding (insert subject) were rude and uncalled for. Please don't contact me again.
Know that if you aren't comfortable doing so, you don't need to text someone who made you feel emotionally and/or physically unsafe. It is perfectly okay to block them.
What Is a Good Break Up Text?
Short texts that work for many situations:
- After some thought, I don't think our relationship is going to work out.
- I've enjoyed getting to know you, but don't feel we're the best fit for each other.
- I wanted to let you know I'm no longer interested in dating- take care.
How to Break Up With Someone Nicely Over Text
Breaking up with someone in a kind and considerate way is totally possible, but keep in mind the individual on the receiving end is going to interpret whatever you say in a unique way that you can't predict. Be sure to:
- Avoid delving into too much detail regarding why you want to break up
- Avoid blaming them for anything
- Respond to their questions in a kind and compassionate way
- Remember you've known about the breakup for some time, and they are just finding out about it
Break Up Text
Sending a break up text can feel incredibly difficult and nerve wracking. After you've pressed send, be sure to take care of yourself so you can process this experience in healthy ways.