Creating together is a pretty wonderful way to make your relationship stronger. Whether you want an evening project or a long-term activity you can share, there are tons of art projects for couples and DIY activities you can enjoy with each other to build your romantic bond.
Things I Love About You Boxes
You know those moments when things are a little tense and you're just not quite feeling it? This simple art project is a great way to reassure one another on tough days in the future - think of it like paying it forward to your future selves. This is also a relaxing date idea since it's a project couples can do together at home when you don't feel like going out.
- Two cardboard shoe boxes
- Paint and markers
- Start by decorating the outside of a box for each other. Paint it a pretty color, and use markers or magazine cut-outs to make it cute and personal.
- Cut some paper into smaller slips. Grab your pen and start thinking about what makes the other person special.
- On each slip of paper, write something you love about your partner. Put all the slips in the box.
- Trade boxes.
- Later, when you're sad or having a rough time, you can take a slip out and read it.
Wine Cork Message Board From Shared Bottles
Sharing a bottle of wine or non-alcoholic sparkling juice is a great way to unwind at the end of the day or celebrate a special moment. Start saving the corks from those bottles, and you can create something super cool with them. Making a wine cork message board is an easy project to do together. You just need corks, epoxy, and a picture frame. You can use it to leave each other cute messages.
Consider adding a label to special corks on your message board to tell what you were doing when you shared that moment. You can just use a fine permanent marker to note the date or what was happening at the time.
Personalized Cheese Tray
Who doesn't love snacking on cheese and crackers while watching TV or just hanging out? You can make your own cheese tray to use together or serve snacks to guests. Choose a vinyl stencil that represents the two of you, such as your initials or a symbol of a place you love. You can use it for snacks next time you spend date night cooking together or going on a romantic picnic too.
- Cutting board
- Vinyl stencil (from the craft store or custom ordered on Etsy)
- Wood burning tool (available at craft stores)
- Apply the vinyl stencil to the cutting board, smoothing out any wrinkles.
- Use the wood burning tool to fill in the stencil, creating a beautiful design on the board.
- Remove the stencil and enjoy your new cheese board.
Signature Cocktail or Mocktail
Mixology can be a fun activity for couples to share, especially if you enjoy creating new taste sensations. Designing your own signature romantic mocktail or cocktail is super easy, and you can start with some tried-and-true recipes if you need a little inspiration.
Stock up on a few great starter ingredients and then just try different combinations. These are a few of the tasty things you might want to have on hand:
- Fruit juice
- Pureed fruit
- Club soda
- Flavored syrups
DIY Herb Garden for Two
A wonderful DIY project for couples to do at home is a countertop or backyard herb garden, especially if you like to cook together. You can plant exactly the herbs you'll use, and taking care of the garden together can be relaxing.
There are lots of herbs you could consider growing, depending on what you cook. These are a few super useful options:
Romantic Wood-Mounted Photos
If you want to give your walls some beautiful art and show off some of your special moments together, nothing beats making your own wood-mounted photos. This simple art project for couples is great for making a gallery wall together. You can do one or two photos at a time or spend the weekend doing a bunch of them.
- Printed photos in various sizes
- Pieces of wood sized larger than the pictures
- Mod Podge decoupage medium
- Foam brushes
- Sandpaper, medium grit
- Wood stain in a shade darker than the wood
- Lightly sand the wood to make sure it's not splintery.
- Apply a coat of decoupage medium to one flat surface of the wood.
- Carefully smooth the photo on top of the wood, pressing out any air bubbles.
- Add more decoupage medium over the photo. Allow it to dry.
- When the photo is dry, lightly sand the edges to distress them.
- Apply stain to the edges to give it a weathered look.
- Add a final coat of decoupage medium to protect your art.
You can make a larger photo display in sections on wood for a modern farmhouse look. Have the picture printed really big and cut the photo into three sections, mounting each one on its own wood piece.
Make the Most of DIY Projects for Couples
What you make together is less important than spending quality time working on a common goal. You can turn anything into a romantic DIY project, especially if you add a personal touch or tie it in with something you already enjoy together. Creating together is a wonderful way to grow stronger as partners and stay connected to one another.