It can be difficult to find the right words to say goodbye to a colleague who is leaving your team or moving on from the company. Such messages should be meaningful but also maintain a professional tone. Whether you need to find a short saying to add to a group going away card, or you plan on sending an individual text or email, the sample co-worker farewell messages below may be exactly what you need. Feel free to use them as-is, or get inspired to create unique wording of your own.
Farewell Messages to a Co-worker Starting a New Job
When co-workers leave the company because they have gotten another job somewhere else, be sure to congratulate them and wish them success. The goodbye messages listed below are perfect for a colleague who has resigned from the company to start a new job.
- Farewell and best wishes for success in your new job. You will be missed around here.
- Congratulations on your new job! I will miss working with you, but wish you great success in your new endeavor.
- I'll miss seeing you in the office every day, but I am so happy about your success! Farewell and best wishes.
- You are a great co-worker and team member. Best wishes for continued success! Please keep in touch.
- I'm sad to see you leave [insert company name], but am excited that you have such a great career opportunity.
Farewell Messages to a Promoted Co-worker
People don't have to leave the company entirely in order to advance to a role where you'll no longer be working with them on a daily basis. If you need to say farewell to a co-worker who is being promoted, consider the options below.
- Best wishes for success in your new position! No one deserves this promotion more than you.
- Congratulations on your recent promotion! I will miss working with you every day, but I'm so happy for you.
- Farewell from the [insert team name], as you move up to a new role. Best wishes for continued success.
- I wish you all the best as you step up into your new role as [insert new job title] with our company.
- Let me be the first to say, "Congratulations, boss!" I'll miss you, but I am proud that I'll always be able to say "I knew you when."
Farewell Messages to a Transferred Co-worker
Not everyone who moves to a new role within the same company does so because of a promotion. Some are being transferred to a different location or team via a lateral move. In that case, be sure your message doesn't reference moving up or advancement.
- I have enjoyed getting to know you during your time with the [current/old team name]. I wish you continued success as you become part of the [new team name].
- I'll miss working with you on a daily basis, as you are a great co-worker. I am sure you will enjoy continued success in your new role with the company.
- You have been an indispensable part of our team. I know you will continue to do well and achieve great success. The [new team name] is lucky to have you!
- I hope everyone at the [insert new location] appreciates what a great colleague you are. Goodbye and good luck!
- I bid you farewell as you move to your new role at the [insert new work site] branch. Best wishes for a smooth transition.
Farewell to a Co-worker Who Will Stay Home With Baby
When a co-worker leaves to become a stay-at-home parent, be sure to send them off with a fond farewell and best wishes for success during this special time in their life. Consider the options below.
- Congratulations on the addition to your family! I am so happy for you and wish you much joy and happiness as you focus on parenting full- time.
- I'll miss seeing you around the office, but I know that someone else needs you more! Enjoy spending time with your little one!
- While I will miss seeing you at work, I am so happy for you to be able to step away from work and focus on your family at this time.
- I am sad to see you go, but I am also so very happy for you and your family. I wish you only wonderful things as you focus on parenting full-time.
- Farewell to a terrific co-worker and even better parent. These early days with your little one are precious. Enjoy every minute!
General Co-worker Farewell Messages
In some situations, you may not know why a co-worker is leaving, or you may not know them very well. Either way, you can acknowledge their departure with a short farewell message.
- May you find all the success you deserve in whatever adventure awaits you.
- Farewell and best wishes for success in your career.
- I was sorry to learn that you are leaving the company. I wish you all the best now and in the future.
- Best wishes for success as you move on from [insert company name]. You will be missed.
- The time may have come for you to go, but we're sure to miss you more than you know.
Farewell Message Ideas for a Retiring Colleague
Wish your soon-to-be former co-worker the best as they head into retirement with a brief farewell message or even a retirement toast. If you're looking for a more humorous option, consider these funny retirement poems.
- May your hard work be paid off with a wonderful retirement experience.
- Best wishes for a long and wonderful retirement. May all of your dreams come true!
- Working with you for the past [insert number] years has been a joy! I'll miss working with you, but I am so happy for you.
- It has been a pleasure to work with you. I wish you only the best as you retire from [insert company name]!
- Farewell, my friend. No one is more deserving of a long, happy, and relaxing retirement.
Saying Goodbye Gracefully
When you share a meaningful, personalized farewell message via a farewell card or an individual message, the employee who is leaving the company is sure to appreciate your gesture. It can help you preserve your relationship with your former co-worker even when you aren't working side-by-side. It may even help open up networking opportunities for the future. After all, the employee who is leaving your team or company today might end up hiring for a role you'd like to be considered for at a later point in your career. The fact that you sent a thoughtful farewell message way back when just might help you stand out from the competition!