If you care enough about someone to propose marriage, choose your words carefully to make them as meaningful as possible. Don't just ask, "Will you marry me?"
Proposal speech examples can help inspire you to find a more creative way to express your feelings and intentions before you utter those four very important words. This is a moment you'll both remember for the rest of your lives, but don't stress. You know how you feel. With a little help on what to say, you've totally got this.
Examples of What to Say in a Marriage Proposal
Your intended is going to remember what you said when you proposed for the rest of your lives together, so make those words count. Here are some touching ways to ask the love of your life to marry you. You can use one of them to help you get started, but be sure to add your own words to make your proposal more personal to you both.
Romantic Marriage Proposal Lines
Romantic phrases are the standard when it comes to marriage proposal wording. Quotes and lines that express your love through beautiful imagery help make the moment feel intimate and romantic.
- I can't imagine growing old with anyone else, nor do I want to.
- I know you're the only one I want to share the rest of my life with.
- The story of our love is only beginning. Let's write our own happy ending.
- There are many ways to be happy in this life, but all I really need is you.
- When I look into your eyes, I can see a reflection of the two of us and the life I hope we'll share.
- I know my life will never be complete without you beside me to share it.
- When I look into my heart, I see only you. If you can look into your heart and only see me, then we should spend the rest of our lives together.
- I promise you, no one will work harder to make you happy or cherish you more than me.
- When I think about you, I know that no one else will ever hold my heart the way you do.
- When I think of the future, I like to picture us as two trees planted side-by-side, our roots growing together more firmly as the years go by, and our children sprouting like seedlings around us.
- Life offers many challenges. I know I can meet them if you're willing to face them with me.
- When I met you, I knew I'd met my match. It was only a matter of time until we arrived at this moment. How it turns out is all in your hands.
- You deserve the very best, someone who will back you up without limits, let you grow without borders, and love you without end. Will you let me be the one?
Short Marriage Proposal Wording
Your short proposal speech can include a short, final line that delivers the big question. This line can later be added to your wedding program or other keepsake items, since it doesn't have a high word count.
- Let's dance together at our wedding.
- Let's put our hearts into each other's hands for life.
- I do, do you?
- Pick me?
- Wear the ring for "yes," close the box for "no."
- I give you all of me forever. Can I have all of you?
- Me and you, together forever?
- Me plus you equal married?
- I'd give up anything to hear a "yes" from you now.
- Our past was memorable. Can our future be infinite?
- You are my definition of husband/wife/spouse/partner.
Funny Marriage Proposal Speeches
If you both have humorous personalities or prefer humor over seriousness, funny engagement poems and speeches are perfect for a marriage proposal.
- They say money can't buy love, but I paid for this ring with money, and you're going to accept it under the condition that you have to stay with me forever. So it's kind of like buying love if you say "yes."
- I've googled 'How to propose' about a hundred times. This was the best I could come up with. So... wanna get hitched?
- In the spirit of saving time: [holding up a ring] This is for you. You in?
- If I knew all it took to keep someone forever was a ring and a question, I'd have been married a long time ago!
- I got down on one knee for you, and whether you say "yes" or "no," I'm going to need your help getting back up.
- I was hoping one of these days you'd propose to me. But since you haven't, I thought I better ask before you get the chance to decide you'd rather propose to someone else.
- I don't really know what I'm supposed to do if you say "no," so could you save us both the trouble and say "yes?"
- It's funny how you need an expensive ring to get someone to agree to marry you, then only a piece of paper to make that union legal. Here's to Step One.
- Does this ring make you wanna get married?
A funny marriage proposal line on its own can seem like you aren't taking this moment seriously, so always start with your real proposal first. Be sure to tell the person how much they mean to you and how you want to spend the rest of your life with them. Then follow up with the funny proposal line for the sweetest laughs.
Unique Marriage Proposal Wording
Look for ways to incorporate your careers, interests, or other passions into a unique marriage proposal phrase. This helps you add tons of personality to your proposal.
- Po-lice spend life with me?
- Give me a "Y," give me an "E," give me an "S." What's that spell?
- Let's make a plan. Ten years from tonight, we'll tell our children the story of how I proposed to you.
- My heart was a desert until you came and watered it with your love. Let's spend the rest of our lives together, pulling the weeds and enjoying the blossoms.
- I believe that if we're lucky enough to have found each other in the first place, we're worth betting on for life. Will you take that gamble with me?
- My heart was once as open as the ocean until you bottled it for yourself. Will you roll through all the tides of life with me?
- You stole the key to my heart. Now it's only fair you use it to open our wedlock.
- When two lines cross, that "X" marks the spot. Will you find the treasure of marriage with me?
Marriage Proposal Quotes From Movies
If you and your partner have a favorite movie, look for lines you could pull from them to use in your proposal. You can use classic movie proposal lines or add a proposal twist to any popular movie quote. For extra ambiance, set up your proposal to mimic the scene from the movie.
- "Go ahead, make my day," from Sudden Impact wasn't meant for a romantic moment, but it could make for a funny proposal.
- The classic Godfather line, "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse," is great if you're proposing to a man.
- When Harry Met Sally gave one of the most iconic love quotes you could use in a proposal, "When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."
- "I vow to fiercely love you in all your forms, now and forever. I promise to never forget that this is a once in a lifetime love," is a perfect proposal quote from The Vow.
- The quote from My Best Friend's Wedding, "Choose me. Marry me. Let me make you happy," makes for a fun proposal.
- Pour your heart out with the line from Runaway Bride, "If I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life, because I know in my heart, you're the only one for me."
- Go for a simple and sweet proposal like this line from The Proposal, "Would you please, with cherries on top, marry me?"
Tips for Finding the Right Words
Some people are better at expressing themselves than others. If you're having difficulty finding the right words for a genuinely unique proposal, try these tips.
- Be original. Since this is the biggest question of your life, you may want to use more unique wording than the standard proposal phrase. You might even consider proposing with a poem.
- Express yourself. The way you word your proposal allows you to express your feelings about your intended in a way that means the most to you and fits your personality.
- Personalize your proposal. Using your own creativity can also help you explain why you love your partner and refer to specific aspects of your relationship.
To make your proposal more personal, consider making a list of everything you love about your relationship with your partner. Use these details when you explain why you want to spend the rest of your life together.
Speak From Your Heart
Asking someone to marry you can be a bit nerve-wracking, even if you're sure the answer will be yes. Just try to remember to speak from your heart and tell your sweetheart how you truly feel. It won't matter how much creativity you put into your proposal idea if the words don't ring true with your partner.