Wedding wishes for a sister on her big day can prove difficult, but luckily a variety of wedding messages for a sister in the form of poems are already written for you. If you're looking for sister wedding quotes to write or deliver in a speech, check out some examples to make your task easier.
Poems for Your Sister
Traditionally the sister of the bride is only required to make a speech if she is the maid of honor. However, in today's modern culture many family members make speeches at the wedding reception. At your sister's reception, express your support by beginning your speech with, "To my sister on your wedding day" followed by reading a loving poem like this one. For the best delivery, take some time to memorize your poem. Reciting it from memory will be more meaningful than reading it from a card or piece of paper.
From sentimental to silly, consider one of these poems to read to your sister.
To My Sister and the Right Mister
by Danielle Reed
I never knew if my sister
Would meet the right mister,
But once [husband's name] starting coming around,
We knew you were making a turnaround!
He's such a good guy,
It almost makes me want to cry.
You've grown to be my best friend,
And I know this marriage is one that won't end.
You've had some tough times,
And I am not so great with rhymes,
But I know you both are truly in love.
Just don't put anyone above
Your husband or your wife.
Here's to your new life!
Thankful for You
by Monica Patrick
We made mud pies and played in the sand.
We shared secrets while holding hands.
With giggles a plenty and many tears,
We shared the growing pains of many years.
With your wedding, it's true, some things will come to an end,
But you are so happy I can't help but extend
My very best wishes and deepest love to you two.
I am so thankful to you have a sister like you!
On Your Wedding Day
by Danielle Reed
All of those hours we talked and dreamed,
About the guy you'd have by your side.
We imagined someone kind and loyal,
To share your wedding day.
Sister, I am so happy you've locked,
Your life in with a man that I am happy to say
Is better than I could have chosen for you,
On your wedding day.
I teared up when I saw you in your dress,
And saw your face as you walked toward your new husband,
A look I have imagined for some time
On your wedding day.
So before you make a toast and jump in your honeymoon ride
I just want to say,
I am happier for you than I could have ever imagined,
On your wedding day.
You're the Husband's Problem Now!
by Danielle Reed
So, I guess it's my job to say,
Congratulations on your wedding day.
Dear sis, you're a fun gal,
But lucky for me, you're [husband's name]'s problem now!
From messes around the bathroom sink
To always challenging me to think.
I was raised with a tough sister,
But now you are happy with a new mister!
I've been your first call for [your age] years,
And been around to dry your tears.
[Husband's name] better treat you right and always stay true,
Or he'll have me to answer to!
So from me, my father, and mother,
Dearest sis - have a wonderful life with my new brother!
Wedding Cards for a Sister
If you are not required to give a speech, you can still offer your wedding wishes with a handmade card. Sentimentality is expected at your sister's wedding so it is okay to be nostalgic and emotional. Use some vintage fabrics, ribbons and heavy card stock to create a one-of-a-kind wedding card. Use a calligraphy pen and write a simple heading like "To My Sister on Her Wedding Day." Place a picture of the two you together on the front cover. Inside the wedding card, include one of your favorite nicknames for your sister and write a short but sweet message like the following:
- No longer a Miss but always a Sis! I love you!
- Sending you a smile, while shedding a tear - You may be far away but in my heart you are near.
- You bake a mean mud pie and give the best hugs - To you my sister I wish lots of love.
- More than a sister, you are my best friend. Best wishes dear sister, may your happiness never end.
- Thank you for always being you. Take some time to step back, and enjoy your big day. Love you forever.
- If you get cold feet, just send me the signal and we can go Runaway Bride in this place.
- From holding your toys to holding your hair to walking you into school to picking you up from practice, I never thought I'd be holding your bouquet. Here we are, so let's go! Congratulations...now go get your man.
- I am so happy you and [husband's name] found each other. Can't wait to see what life has in store for you both!
- You know, a sister is a friend you always have throughout your entire life. We've seen each other in our highs and our lows. I'm so happy to watch you get married. I love you forever my sister!
- Don't mess up on your first dance. Love ya!
- Just give me the signal and I'll bring a fresh drink to your table for you. I know you get stressed being the center of attention! Just sit back and enjoy your day. I'll handle the details (and mom)!
- Have the best day. Love you.
Sister Speech Wording Example
Using a speech example is a good way to get started if you're giving a toast or speech. Just fill in the blanks, maybe make a few changes here or there, and you have a speech without the stress. If you are having trouble downloading the template, use an Adobe printable guide for help.
A well written or spoken wedding message will make you sister feel loved and supported. Show her how much you care by showering her with words that touch the heart.
Tips for Writing a Wedding Speech
If you want to create an original personalized speech, you should jot down beforehand what you want to say. Use these guidelines to create the perfect wedding speech.
- Keep it brief. Time is important and you should be considerate of the couple's schedule. Other guests may be asked to make speeches so keep your speech short.
- Begin your speech with a quote that is relevant to the special day. You could pull a quote from a popular love ballad or an obscure poet that your sister likes.
- Share a special memory, not a collage of memories. Relate a memorable moment to the gathered guests.
- Give your blessing or approval to the couple. Acknowledge the groom with kind words.
- End with well wishes and supportive statements.
Gifts for My Sister on Her Wedding Day
You and your sister have shared so much and known each other for so long that you need a truly special wedding gift to mark this important day. Consider these unique and meaningful gifts for your sister on the day she gets married:
- Give her a silver locket with a photo of the two of you on one side and of your sister and her new husband on the other.
- Create a scrapbook album that tells the story of your years together with room for a page about her wedding day.
- Collect the best recipes in your family and make her a recipe box filled with the foods she loved as a child.
- Give her a gift certificate for a "sister honeymoon" after the wedding so you can catch up and adjust to her new role.
- If you're artistic, make a sketch of your childhood home that she can take with her to her new house.
- Write her a "love letter" of your own filled with all the ways you love her and are proud of her.
- Use a board from your playhouse or old family home and paint a special saying on it for her to hang in her new house.
- Make a photo album with pictures of all the brides in your family, leaving room for a photo of her.
- Give her a necklace featuring both of your birthstones.
My Sister's Wedding Day
You are in a unique position on your sister's wedding day. Be sure to treat her with love, care, and even a bit of patience. This is an awesome day, not only in your sister's life, but in the story of your own family. Your relationship is different than any other one in the world. No matter what you say, it doesn't have to be perfect - it just has to be honest. A few meaningful sister quotes should provide the inspiration you need to say what's in your heart.