- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2 ounces Irish cream
- 1 ounce crème de menthe
- Whipped cream, mint sprig, and crushed chocolate cookie for garnish
Variations and Substitutions
Easily customize your adult milkshake from ice cream flavors, liquors, and more.
- Skip the crème de menthe and use a mint or mint chocolate chip ice cream as your base, adding green food coloring if needed.
- Add up to an ounce of vodka, using a little less Irish cream and crème de menthe. Bourbon also makes for an excellent addition.
- Explore different flavor-infused vodkas, such as chocolate, vanilla, or espresso.
- Include a splash of vanilla or chocolate liqueur to up the dessert level. An indulgent coffee liqueur also adds a new level of complexity to this tasty adult milkshake.
- For a chocolatier experience, add chocolate chips or a coarsely chopped chocolate bar to the blender before mixing.
Live your absolute best boozy milkshake garnish life, or keep it simple. Whatever you want, there's a garnish for you.
- Layer on the ice cream by garnishing it with an additional scoop of vanilla, mint chocolate chip, or chocolate chip ice cream.
- Prior to adding in the milkshake, drizzle the inside of the glass with chocolate syrup.
- For a coated rim chocolate garnish, melt chocolate chips or a chocolate bar, then carefully dip the rim of the glass into the melted chocolate. Allow it to cool and solidify before adding the milkshake.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup over the whipped cream or ice cream topping.
- Complete your boozy adult milkshake with a cherry on top.
The Adult Shamrock Shake
The classic shamrock shake, serving as an inspiration for this boozy riff, is not a modern offering. As early as the 1970s, the Shamrock Shake is a popular seasonal item typically offered only in February and March. Today, the shake is mint flavored. But back then, this shake was made up of vanilla ice cream, a lemon-lime sorbet, and syrup, and it became a simple vanilla milkshake with nothing more than green food coloring.
Now the adult shamrock shake is a popular cocktail that you can enjoy year-round right in your own home, especially since not many bars will have this frozen concoction on their menu. Thankfully, this means you can make yours as simple or out of this world as you want.
A Brain Freeze Worthy Milkshake
Don't wait for springtime or Saint Patrick's Day to roll around to enjoy a minty shamrock shake. The bonus is your blender will be working, too. So grab some ice cream and raid your liquor cabinet for a chilly and delicious adult shamrock shake.