Variations and Substitutions
Although the Ramos gin fizz follows a fairly standard recipe of proportions and ingredients, you can still find room to riff and play.
- Some recipes call for Old Tom gin but experiment with different styles such as London dry, Plymouth, or genever. Each has different properties, so use less simple syrup or orange flower water based on their profiles.
- Instead of regular simple syrup, try out flavors such as rosemary, orange, lemon, lavender, or honey.
- Use less simple syrup for a cocktail that isn't as sweet.
Even if the classic recipe doesn't call for a garnish, you can still experiment with options and new looks. Balance the garnishes on the rim so as not to destroy the foam.
- Opt for a lemon ribbon, peel, or twist.
- Similarly, an orange ribbon, peel, or twist offers a bright look.
- Use lime to compliment the lime juice with a ribbon, peel, or twist.
- Consider a dehydrated citrus wheel for an incredibly unique-looking cocktail.
About the Ramos Gin Fizz
So unlike many other New Orleans-style cocktails, it can be difficult to believe that the Ramos gin fizz has Big Easy roots. First invented by Henry "Carl" Ramos in 1888, the Ramos gin fizz has remained a famous cocktail through the years. However, its reception varies from bartender to patron.
When properly assembled, the Ramos gin fizz can take upwards of ten minutes for the bartender to build; its dry shaking makes it one of the most laborious cocktails. With the time needed to shake this cocktail, some bartenders turn to their barbacks to agonizingly shake the cocktail, freeing them up to attend to other guests.
The lore is that Ramos himself had "shaker men" on his payroll to keep up with the tiring demand of the Ramos gin fizz. Don't let this put you off, as most Ramons gin fizzes don't need more than a minute or two of vigorous shaking if you're not looking to test the agility of your biceps.
Time Well Spent
If you look up the phrase labor of love, Ramos gin fizz is the only definition. This cocktail may have a tiresome prep process, but the end result is a stunning and unique cocktail sure to make anyone smile despite the effort.