Variations and Substitutions
The classic pornstar martini usually calls for vanilla vodka rather than gin. There are other variations you can explore as well.
- Add a splash of sparkling wine, such as prosecco, for a bubbly touch.
- The cocktail is also occasionally served with a prosecco sidecar.
- Different styles of gin will create different flavor profiles; feel free to experiment with London dry, Old Tom, Plymouth, or genever.
- Swap the lime juice out for lemon juice for a brighter citrus flavor.
- If you don't have vanilla simple syrup, you can use vanilla schnapps in a pinch.
- Try a nonalcoholic pornstar martini mocktail.
The pornstar martini with gin isn't your typical martini, and this means you can get quite creative with your garnishes.
- Instead of a wedge, slice the passion fruit and float the wheel on top of the drink.
- Consider a vanilla bean garnish; you can either float it or clip it to the side with a cocktail clip.
- Use a lime wheel or slice to add a contrasting color. You can use lemon and oranges as well.
- A dehydrated citrus wheel gives this modern martini a very modern look.
About the Pornstar Martini
The pornstar martini in its classic form has yet to reach its own 21st birthday as its only been around since 2002, when Douglas Ankrah introduced the world to this attention-grabbing martini. His timing couldn't have been better as the early 2000s played witness to the cocktail renaissance, as people made a mass return to the cocktail scene, embracing the old school but welcoming the new school-style cocktails.
As for its lucrative name, the porn star martini with gin owes its martini name to the style of naming cocktails that meant to be enjoyed in oversized cocktail glasses. As for the first half of its name? Ankrah just found it to be ridiculous and thought to himself, why not?
Five Star Martini
If you're feeling nostalgic for the first cocktail renaissance, you're throwing a risqué-themed party, or you want a good giggle, the pornstar martini with gin will deliver. Even just for the passion fruit profile, this martini is sure to be a hit.