A little more than herbal but not as outlandish as a brothtail, savory cocktails are a staple you may not have thought of in their own category. A tomato spritz or classic Bloody Mary fits the bill, or try a dirty martini or even a timeless Lion's Tail. Let's explore the savory side of cocktails.
Savory Lion's Tail
The timeless lion's tail, it's a bourbon drink that falls just outside of the usual suspects when it comes to bourbon drinks. But this bourbon drink is different: it's savory, it's spiced, it's a touch sour, and it is perfectly balanced.
- 2 ounces bourbon
- ½ ounce allspice dram
- ¼ ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- ⅛ ounce simple syrup
- 2-3 dashes aromatic bitters
- Orange peel for garnish, optional
A lighter, and less boozy, savory option than the Lion's Tail or usual bloody Mary, the tomato spritz is a crisp and savory dream.
- 2 ounces dry vermouth
- ½ ounce gin
- 1 ounce tomato juice
- 1 ounce flat water
- 1 ounce prosecco
- Club soda to top off
- Lemon wedge for garnish, optional
- In a rocks or highball glass, add ice, dry vermouth, gin, tomato juice, and flat water.
- Stir briefly to mix.
- Add prosecco.
- Top off with club soda.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge, if desired.
Savory Bloody Mary and Tomato Cocktails
Gin and beet juice, that signature combination of herbaceous and earthy, unites into the perfect marriage with Campari to make a memorable and savory negroni.
Sub the beet-infused gin for an ounce and a half of gin and half of an ounce of beet juice.
- 1½ ounces beet-infused gin
- 1½ ounces sweet vermouth
- 1½ ounces Campari
- Orange twist for garnish
- In a mixing glass, add ice, beet-infused gin, sweet vermouth, and Campari.
- Stir rapidly to chill.
- Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
- Garnish with an orange peel.
Earthy and Savory Beet Cocktails
Channel your inner mixologist and dive headfirst into the seductively magenta world of beet drinks.
Pair gin with a little salt and bitterly sour grapefruit juice, and you have a refreshing albeit salty but savory cocktail.
- Grapefruit wedge and salt for rim
- 2 ounces gin OR vodka
- Grapefruit juice to top off
- Grapefruit slice and lime slice for garnish
- To prepare rim, rub the rim of the glass with the grapefruit wedge.
- With the salt on a saucer, dip either half or the entire rim of the glass in the salt to coat.
- In the prepared glass, add ice, gin, and grapefruit juice.
- Garnish with grapefruit slice and lime slice.
Irresistibly Appetizing Savory Cocktails
You've heard of dessert in a glass, but probably not a snack in a glass. Okay, that doesn't quite work. But these savory cocktails work when you're looking for something to itch that spot for a cocktail that's a little earthier, a little saltier, and a little richer than all the rest.