Breakfast on school days needs to be quick, easy, and actually appetizing for your kids. You're probably looking for some healthy school breakfasts, too. We've found all the best back-to-school breakfasts with easy and healthy hacks so your kids can head off to school with fully bellies and tons of energy.
Make It Fun With Breakfast Charcuterie
Your little ones will flock to the table when they know breakfast is going to be extra fun or special. Mix things up every once in a while with an unexpected and beloved breakfast option. A breakfast charcuterie board is fun and gives your kids a little freedom on what items they want to pop on their plate.
Serve Filling Toast Options
Toast is such a quick and easy breakfast for your kids - and maybe you too! The best part is that they can enjoy on the go if needed. Get creative with your toast toppings to make this meal more filling, exciting, and healthy for your children.
Breakfast before school doesn't have to be fancy. If quick and simple works for your family, stick to what you know!
Make an Easy & Healthy Scramble
If your kids like scrambled eggs, you can make them protein packed and full of healthy nutrients without spending much extra time at the stove. This healthy egg scramble comes together quickly for an easy school breakfast. This recipe makes one serving, so multiply it as needed for your kids.
- 1-2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 handful of spinach, shredded
- ¼ of a bell pepper, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the cottage cheese to your eggs and mix until combined.
- Heat the butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and cook until the peppers are tender and the spinach starts to wilt, stirring often.
- Pour the egg mixture in and cook to desired consistency. Add salt and pepper if desired.
You can swap for any vegetables your kids love and serve this breakfast with a side of their favorite fruit or toast.
Pancakes Are Filling & Comforting
Pancakes are probably one of the most beloved breakfasts for kids. Hey, we love them as adults too!
Start with a basic pancake recipe and then make it your own with toppings. You might add nut butters to give your kids fuel for the day, a generous serving of fruit, or a few fun additions like whipped cream or chocolate chips. If you have a little extra time, try our creative pancake recipes to give your kids a sweet school breakfast surprise.
Breakfast Burritos Are Versatile
Here's a school breakfast idea you can make ahead of time, and it's freezer friendly, too! Breakfast burritos, like our vegan breakfast burrito recipes, will keep your kids full until lunch. You can switch things up to suit their preferences, and they're perfect for on the go.
Make the Easiest Oatmeal Ever
Skip the instant oatmeal this school year. Our slow cooker oatmeal recipes make a healthy breakfast feel absolutely effortless. Those chilly school mornings are no match for a belly full of warm, homemade oatmeal.
Peanut Butter Banana Muffins Make Mornings Easy
This school breakfast idea couldn't be easier, and it's perfect for busy mornings and meal prep. Make these healthy peanut butter banana muffins from Fox & Briar, so your school mornings are a little less hectic and a lot tastier.
Yogurt Sundaes Feel Like a Treat
Want to get your kids to the breakfast table in a hurry? Tell them you're having sundaes. Yogurt sundaes, that is!
- 1 small waffle bowl
- 1 cup of yogurt of choice
- 1 tablespoon of honey (or swap for pure maple syrup)
- ¼ cup diced fruit of choice
- Slivered almonds, granola, or shredded coconut for topping
- Layer your ingredients, starting with the yogurt, in the waffle bowl.
- Drizzle the honey much like you would a helping of chocolate syrup on a sundae.
- Top with your fruit and crunchy topping of choice.
You can totally toss some sprinkles, a little whipped cream, or a cherry on top to make this extra fun. A sliced banana at the bottom of the bowl turns this into a breakfast banana split!
French Toast Casserole Cups Are Just Plain Fun
French toast is like the ultimate kid breakfast and having it on a school day feels like a win in childhood. These mini French toast casserole cups from Confessions of a Fit Foodie are so easy to throw together, and they help your kids get a serving of fruit alongside their fave breakfast.
Fun First Day of School Breakfast Ideas
Now that you have all the recipes for school breakfasts, why not settle on a fun breakfast idea for that first day back? These breakfasts are extra fun, full of surprises, and some feel like real treats for your kids.
- Raising Whasains has the cutest breakfast "sushi" to make the first day of school fun.
- How much will your kids love donuts on their first day back? We have a donut recipe that's vegan friendly!
- Cinnamon rolls are a real treat, and they might just become your new first day of school tradition.
- We love waffles anytime, but these creative pencil waffles from Kailo Chic are just too cute to pass up!
- What better way to wave goodbye to summer than a final popsicle for breakfast? This milk and cereal popsicle from In Katrina's Kitchen will have your kids praising you until next summer rolls around.
The first day of school is a great time to treat your child to a breakfast out if time allows. A quick pastry at a coffee shop or a breakfast sandwich on the go might help settle some of those first day nerves.
Send Them Off With a Smile
Whether it's the first day of school or you're well into the school routine, a good breakfast is always important for your kids. If you're able, spend some time eating with them in the morning and send them off with their quality time meter full. Whatever you decide to feed your kids before breakfast, they'll look back one day knowing that you helped them start their school days on the right foot.