Avocado is the creamy toast topping that gave the forgotten breakfast bread its much needed reboot, but don't limit yourself to a simply slab of bread with a smear of the good green stuff. There are so many avocado toast toppings that have all the delicious momentum they need to start the next viral food trend. Whether it's for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or guac-tail hour, let these avo toast toppings guac your world.
Easy Avocado Toast Toppings
Avocado toast is an easy thing to make on its own. All you have to do is pop some bread in the toaster and mash an avocado to put on it. There's no need to complicate things too much, as these easy avocado toast toppings show:
- Avocado and egg: Mashed avocado topped with a fried or poached egg is a simple and delicious breakfast.
- Avocado and salsa: Avocado topped with fresh salsa spices up your breakfast routine, and it's as easy as opening a jar.
- Avocado, radish, and sea salt: It takes two seconds to thinly slice a radish and add a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Double avocado toast: Dice up some of the avocado for an added topping and toss on cilantro and lime (making it a double avocado toast).
No time to mash an avocado in the morning? No worries. You can make it the night before, push some plastic wrap right over the surface (weird, but it works to keep the air out), and store it in an airtight container for 24 hours.
Healthy Avocado Toast Toppings
Avocado toast is actually pretty good for you (yay healthy fats!), but what you put on it can make it less healthy. Here are some healthy options if you're looking for avocado toast that won't mess with your diet mojo.
- Avocado and smoked salmon: Avocado with smoked salmon gives you plenty of protein and healthy fat to start your day.
- Avocado, cherry tomatoes, and feta: This is the perfect trio of flavors and texture (plus lots of protein).
- Avocado, sliced cucumber, dill, and Greek yogurt: Added crunch and a protein bump from the Greek yogurt makes this a power breakfast.
- Avocado, sautéed spinach, and garlic: The spinach is a delicious and healthy way to get your greens on your already green toast! Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Avocado, roasted butternut squash, and sage: This is a healthy and tasty fall snack or breakfast.
Savory Toppings for Avocado Toast
Avocado toast just asks for all kinds of savory toppings, from eggs to meat to tofu. Try some of these mouth-watering ideas:
- Mashed avocado, bacon, and tomato: It's like a BLT... or a BAT?
- Avocado and bacon: Creamy avocado and crispy bacon are a match made in toast heaven.
- Avocado, red onion, and feta: Mashed avocado, thinly sliced red onion, and feta crumbles come together for a bold breakfast flavor profile.
- Avocado, tomato, and hard-boiled egg: These three toast toppings were made for each other.
- Mashed avocado, grilled zucchini, and ricotta cheese: This is a complex and delicious flavor profile you'll love.
- Avocado and shrimp: Slap some shrimp on that mashed avocado and add garlic and lime juice.
- Avocado, roasted red pepper, and feta cheese: This is a super tasty (and pretty) combo anyone would love.
Spicy Avocado Toast Toppings
You can spice things up with the perfect toast topping. Avocado makes a great base for stronger and spicier flavors.
- Mashed avocado, fried egg, and hot sauce: This one is simple but perfectly spicy.
- Mashed avocado, everything bagel seasoning, and hot sauce: Skip the bagel and make it an everything avo-toast, hot sauce optional.
- Avocado, spiced black beans, and corn salsa: Spicy black beans are the perfect texture and a great flavor addition.
- Avocado, poached egg, and sriracha sauce: This is a simple and spicy avocado toast recipe you'll love.
- Avocado, grated beetroot, and horseradish: That tangy, zippy flavor will start your morning right.
- Avocado, tofu scramble, and hot sauce: A vegetarian take on a classic egg and avocado toast, this spicy tofu scramble hits the mark perfectly.
Gourmet Toppings for Avocado Toast
Want something a little fancy on your toast? These toppings pair perfectly with avocado:
- Avocado, caramelized onions, and goat cheese: Bring in the smooth, creamy flavor of goat cheese with your avocado toast.
- Smoked salmon, avocado, red onion, and capers: Savory and tasty, smoked salmon is a great complement to avocado toast.
- Olive tapenade, avocado, and roasted peppers: Salty olive tapenade is a great addition to avocado toast.
- Avocado, pumpkin seeds, and quinoa: A delicious blend of sweet and savory, this is a complex and perfect toast topping.
- Avocado, caramelized figs, and brie: Figs and brie add sweetness that goes way beyond a standard slice of avocado toast.
- Fresh crab meat, avocado, and lemon aioli: Crab and avocado work beautifully together in this toast topping taste sensation.
- Smoked trout, avocado, and pickled onions: Another seafood option, this is a delicious treat.
Find Your Favorite Toast Toppings
While it's awesome on its own, creative avocado toast toppings can give you a ton of variety in your breakfast. Try them all to find your favorites. Guac on, friends!